Star Wars Episode 7

A bit off-topic, but this came to my attention today:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-wars-cinematographer-gilbert-taylor-dies-613654

"Gilbert Taylor, the famed British cinematographer who shot the first Star Wars film for George Lucas, Dr. Strangelove for Stanley Kubrick, Repulsion for Roman Polanski and The Beatles' A Hard Day's Night, has died. He was 99."

I also heard it will be making heavy use of models, sets and real locations too.

They are trying to get back to the spirit of the originals and so are going to be looking for anything that can take them in that direction.

I hear the original sets are about to be destroyed by huge sand dunes tho.

Freya

"Old school" miniature models and forced perspective can give great results.

http://petapixel.com/2013/08/23/using-toys-and-forced-perspective-to-get-professional-low-budget-visual-effects/

http://vashivisuals.com/visual-effects-low-budget-filmmaking/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I spoke to a person in the know from lets say the biggest camera equipment company there is about 2 months ago, yes film 35mm and 65mm .

panavision very nice!! (i want to shoot all my projects on 35mm…with this camera or arri LT, which I could actually buy..and I'm saving for)

Edited by dio zafi

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Last time I spoke to Panavision they said they were sending their 35mm cameras that were used on big movies to the directors or DP's of the films as a thank you (shot in the 70's & 80's). Guess they held onto some of their latest 35mm cameras.

• Premium Member

A couple of companies at the BSC show earlier this year had huge Panathings on various bits of grip equipment as demonstration cameras. Apparently there's no shortage of them gathering dust on shelves, sad as it is in some ways.

P

Phil you are a reverse luddite .I watched the current Spider Man 2 film last week at a BSC show . Shot on film looked fantastic ,the Director had shot No.1 on Epic and was very unhappy with the look Dan Mindel ASC/BSC who shot this one did a Q+A after and said the Director now has a clause in future contracts that he will only shoot on film . I hated the movie to long and can i say Boring ? Not my kind of film.

Phil you are a reverse luddite .I watched the current Spider Man 2 film last week at a BSC show . Shot on film looked fantastic ,the Director had shot No.1 on Epic and was very unhappy with the look Dan Mindel ASC/BSC who shot this one did a Q+A after and said the Director now has a clause in future contracts that he will only shoot on film . I hated the movie to long and can i say Boring ? Not my kind of film.

+100

we should all put the "film clause" in our contracts

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

With usual caveats regarding believing a word of what's said in the Daily Fail:

The value of the discarded equipment is probably more than the entire production budget of the last thing I shot.

My respect for the aforementioned rigging crew on this, who I think we can assume were of the very highly paid apple-box-chainsmoking variety of union stalwarts, is of course deepened no end.

P

• Premium Member

I doubt G&E just forgot and left that stuff behind, the distro box is still plugged in. They probably left it for a separate wrap crew, no reason to keep the main unit on the clock when wrapping a big location can take a day or more.

John, the Mail is not my first choice when it comes to printed matter, however it is often rich of amusing behind the scenes gems (just like the Telegraph) when it comes to major motion pictures filmed in london. I enjoy flicking through and seeing my colleagues or myself in it from time to time. it's a funny old game

Anyway, regardless of what publication it is, the gear is left exposed to the elements and not bagged properly (including the non water proof 125> 63a FDU's) and if there was no security around, which seems to be the case, all that would have been up for grabs.

I'm sure the very competent rigging crew of Ep VII would have polished it all up by now

• 1 month later...