Anyone know what "Broadchurch" was shot on?

The new hit show on BBC America has an interesting look. The cinematography is great (aside from the occasional spaz-cam moves, thankfully few and far between.)

Does anyone know what camera they are using? I thought it might be a Red, but it doesn't have the yellow smear Red has in the sunlight. (At least the footage I've seen with Red has that.)

I'm a director, not a DP, so forgive me if "yellow smear" isn't a technical term :)

The new hit show on BBC America has an interesting look. The cinematography is great (aside from the occasional spaz-cam moves, thankfully few and far between.)

Does anyone know what camera they are using? I thought it might be a Red, but it doesn't have the yellow smear Red has in the sunlight. (At least the footage I've seen with Red has that.)

I'm a director, not a DP, so forgive me if "yellow smear" isn't a technical term :)

"spaz-cam"??? I really hope that the "spaz" bit isn't a shortening of what I think it might be, as that kind of comment would not really be appropriate here. I'm sure it was an off-hand comment made without thinking but... well, just sayin.

Here in the UK Red is not very popular. It's generally pretty much Alexa with everything, with a few exceptions.

Broadchurch was produced by Shine/Kudos for ITV. It's success created quite a furore that the project wasn't completed in house. It was, as has been suggested been suggested here, an Alexa shoot:

http://www.deluxe142.co.uk/latest/2013/03/full-picture-post-on-broadchurch/

Freya

"spaz-cam"??? I really hope that the "spaz" bit isn't a shortening of what I think it might be, as that kind of comment would not really be appropriate here. I'm sure it was an off-hand comment made without thinking but... well, just sayin.

Freya, spastic doesn't mean the same in the US as it does in Britain. Spaz cam simply refers to jumpy or erratic camera work.

• Upvote 1

Thank you all so much for the information and the links! I googled my butt off and couldn't find that info.

Yeah, I love that Alexa. A friend shot a feature on it and we saw it at the Academy, and it looked beautiful.

As for Freya's post about my use of "spaz-cam," I don't know what word she's afraid I used. It's short for "spasmodic," as in a spasmodic cough. When your muscles contract against your will. It's the kind of camera work wherein it seems like the operator is having a seizure and is flailing about. I meant it as in the opposite of "controlled." Also known as "lazy directing." :)

I looked it up in a UK slang dictionary, but the only thing I could possibly find was a definition saying it was a "foolish person." That's not an American usage of it. Anyway, sounds tame to me...

*sigh* When will those Brits learn proper English?!

*sigh* When will those Brits learn proper English?!

:) Yeah it's got a tradition of being short for something else over here... Probably a good phrase to avoid for that reason.

Unfortunately we ARE learning proper "English". Quite a few years back I remember having a video taken down off a now long dead video sharing site called "slap a r*****" which appeared to feature people slapping a guy with downs syndrome harder and harder while he looked confused and wondering what the joke was. It was the most extreme example I came across of that brand of hate but I came across it elsewhere too and I was really shocked as this wasn't something that really featured big in our hierarchy of hate over here. However since then the term has slipped into common usage here too, to the extent that it features on the mass media here even.

The thing I need to take from that is that my battle to take down some offensive video, made absolutely no difference whatsoever.

By the same token, it's clearly even more silly to make an isssue of such things on internet forums at all.

This is especially true in this case, where even if you had meant the same thing, you didn't mean anything by it.

I am acting a bit out of character at the mo, someone has commented about it on another thread. I guess I'm going through a lot right now and it's made me a bit "bring it" so to speak. IRL that might be a good thing, but not here.

So I apologise for that.

Freya

Yeah, I love that Alexa. A friend shot a feature on it and we saw it at the Academy, and it looked beautiful.

It's now the go to camera for everything over here. The Arri D21 is also quite impressive in that respect and can be a nice camera where there isn't the budget for Alexa, tho I hear the camera is a lot slower in terms of workable iso, so it is swings and roundabouts. The Sony F35 was another much under-rated camera that might give the alexa a run for its money too if it's still out there!

Freya

I was wondering the same thing so thanks for asking, David. Thanks, Brian for the link.

Freya, don't feel too bad, as a Canadian I am a "bilingual" english speaker and therefore familiar with both UK and US english. Being an American I didn't think David meant spastic, which is a pejorative in the UK and in Canada too depending on who you're talking too. As you know, of course. :-)

Not used as much here anymore, but I remember a time when people used to say "don't be a spaz" with much regularity. I understood where both sides were coming from and my main point was you expressed concern over the comment respectfully and David responded in kind.

One of the reasons I like to come here. Cinematography and cinema in general is a subject people can get passionate about and for most part I enjoy the civility people show to each other here. Even when they think an offensive term was used.

That video where the person with down syndrome is abused sounds horrible.

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:59 PM

No David, I wasn't very impressed with Broadchurch, which I wouldn't have bothered to watch if it wasn't filmed a mile from where I live in Dorset. My wife described as like watching paint dry. What cinematography ? Suppose the cliffs looked good, but they always do. Can't imagine how they're going to make the sequel, later this year I presume. :wacko:

Doug

http://www.filmisfine.co

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Its a Red, 

In the press conference you can clearly see half images generated by the flashes, these would not show up with the global shutter of the alexa. 

Its a rolling shutter and therefor most likely a Red, its nicely graded and lit for a TV Show i must say. 

• Premium Member

Alexa, other than the mechanical-shutter Studio variant, does not have a global shutter and is quite capable of producing rolling shutter artifacts with fast flashes. I haven't seen the material in question and I'm speaking theoretically.

P

Its funny as now that half, or less.. frame flash thing is seen in huge budget films.. and totally excepted by audiences now ..I remember many years ago this being a big "issue" on a small promo shoot I did.. much gnashing of teeth .. and they put in the "flash" frames in post... just about any feature film with flashes going off scenes .. you will see it.. and drum roll... no one cares at all..  

Alexa has got a bit of a life of its own.. the number of directors/ Tv people.. who have been really surprised when Ive told them its not a 4K camera and its not global shutter..

I dont think RED was on the map at all in those days in the UK.. 

On 8/11/2013 at 12:16 PM, Freya Black said:

You'd have to be a spazopotamus to spazz out over that.