Paul Thomas Anderson's "Inherent Vice"

Joe Zakko

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BRLG2ASCEAE05-I.png:large

The above picture just surfaced from the set of PTA's Inherent Vice. Any eagle-eyed panavision experts can tell us a little about what they're shooting with? Are they shooting with anamorphic lenses, and if so, are they preserving the 2.35 aspect ratio or matting down to 1.85? (due to the angle, I can't quite tell the aspect ratio of the image on that tiny monitor)

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can't really tell 100% from the video assist, but at first glance it doesn't really look like 2.35, which seems odd considering P.T.A seems fond of anamorphic (when he's not shooting 65mm) I'm guessing 1.85....OK after writing that I looked up the film on IMDB and it says 1.85

Thanks for the input. Yeah, the imdb says 1.85, but it also listed elswit as dp for The Master until that was cleared up. Kinda a pity, I've always been a fan of P.T.A.'s ongoing 'collaboration' with the anamorphic format. Wonder if he's framing for 1.85 for good.

• 4 weeks later...

A director like PTA doesn't frame for good at all, he'll use the tools at his disposal that he feels are best to tell the story. 65mm was right for The Master, and although he does usually stick with true anamorphic 35mm, who knows, maybe this one calls for 1.85... I guess we'll find out...

P.T, Anderson always films with anamorphic lenses,it's a natural element of his aesthetic. He is filming with a 35mm Millennium, which he started using when he made Boogie Nights, he's always used the same camera ever since, until the Master where he shot 65mm. I believe ,this is the longest dolly track ever built.