Just wondering to buy Arriflex 16M

Kristian Nomedal

Mechanically, it's the same as a 16S. It's a little better to use with mags than the 16S, since the mating flange is flat. It doesn't take daylight loads though.

Personally, I think that's a little steep. If you sold your 16S, look to move to a better camera; not just a reworked version of the same thing. Save the money towards a SR or SR2. I've seen a few SRs pop up for around $1500 from time to time.

Okay! Thank for your respons!

Mechanically, it's the same as a 16S. It's a little better to use with mags than the 16S, since the mating flange is flat. It doesn't take daylight loads though.

Personally, I think that's a little steep. If you sold your 16S, look to move to a better camera; not just a reworked version of the same thing. Save the money towards a SR or SR2. I've seen a few SRs pop up for around $1500 from time to time.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Yes, I second the move towards an SR. You're looking at a camera of around the same weight as the M series, with a way better build, newer design, and WAY better mags.

I'd recommend an SR2. An original SR in good condition is fine too, but regular SRs differ in quality from one another, and you have to make sure you get a later one that has a German motor and circuit board. If you just want a regular 16 camera, the SR2's are actually pretty cheap havable, now more than ever. Only the Super 16 versions go much beyond 2,000 USD. They are simply a newer camera, with improved features on a camera that was pretty much perfect already.

The SRs, in general, should be more serviceable too, and are a better investment. The M and the Arri 16BL are both good examples, and sometimes are findable very cheap- but this is because the availability of parts and the earlier, less ergonomic and less usable design of the displacement mags holds them back. The 16S series is really the sole survivor of that era of Arri 16 cameras because if it's usability, quality, and the correspondly large number of spare parts available.

That said, if you're set on an M, don't pay more than $750-1000 for good condition KIT, with spare mags, a few accessories, perhaps even a zoom, and some sort of explanation for the camera, like a service history or a conversation with the previous owner as to how the camera was used (rentals or more personal use). If you can get the extra money, go for as late a model an SR as you can find, and enjoy one if the greatest machines ever made.

• Premium Member

Having owned quite a few Arriflex cameras over the years, I must say the Arriflex 16M was my least favorite of the bunch. The Arri16S can be set up the most precise of the Arri 16 cameras, with the FFD and ground glass absolutely spot on. The 16SR, SRII and SR3 are next best, followed by the 16BL and then the 16M. Never serviced that new one who's name escapes me at the present.

Save up the the 16SR or SRII. A Super 16 version if you can find one.

Best,

-Tim

• 1 month later...