What films were shot on anamorphic?

Saba Mazloum

Doing a feature film soon , and the story is based in a school and what happeneds between the teachers and the students. I'm trying to show reference films that were shot on anamorphic, so any help would be great if you know any films recently shot on anamorphic that were around this type of genre of a story.

Thanks !

Hi,

there are many great examples of anamorphic films.
A couple of my favourites (to Show the anamoprhic look) are e.g: "Apocalypse now" ,"Conan" (1982), shot with Todd AO lenses, maybe "Star Trek- into darkness" (2013) as an modern alternative.

Edited by Chris Husz

• Premium Member

You can look to Paul Thomas Anderson for some really good anamorphic photography, however for anamorphic shot in a school, I'm coming up a bit blank. Assassination of a High School President was framed for 2:40 but was a 3-perf acquisition if memory and IMDB serve. But it is a gorgeous film lensed by forum member David Mullen which can show what you can do with the anamorphic frame in such environments and is pretty modern in look/feel.

• Premium Member

"Star Trek" (2009) and the recent sequel show all the anamorphic artifacts you could ever want to demonstrate, so just grab some frames from the DVD or blu-ray that show the vertically stretched bokeh (easier if there are lights in the b.g.) and horizontal flares. Secondary would be to pick frames that show the curvature (barrel distortion) of the wider anamorphic focal lengths.

You'd have to pick a movie clip to show the breathing that happens when you rack-focus.

But the same artifacts are in older anamorphic movies -- after all, "Star Trek" used Panavision anamorphics, some of which are C-series which date back to the 1970's, so there is no reason to have to pick a recent movie to demonstrate the artifacts.

Thanks guys, yah I did some test with the old huge arriscopes, the breathing is crazy on those lens.

Will be testing out some more lens today, hawk elite and maybe the kowas at Cineret Beijing.

Director wants to go epic so I'll be testing them on the 5k Ana today too.

Thanks guys, yah I did some test with the old huge arriscopes, the breathing is crazy on those lens.

Will be testing out some more lens today, hawk elite and maybe the kowas at Cineret Beijing.

Director wants to go epic so I'll be testing them on the 5k Ana today too.

The Arriscopes interest me a lot since i never had a Chance to get my Hand on those.

Did you have a Chance to find out how they perform in General when compared to other anamorphics yet?

I wonder if they are similar to any anamorphic thats out there.

well i tested the 40,50,75,100,135 out twice in two different rental houses.

with my limited testing, this is my findings, 40, 50,75, quite sharp at wide open, close focus is 3'3, which is ok but id rather have it at 3ft.

Breathing is quite a lot, i personally dont mind it, but it might be too much for others. Flaring wasnt impressive at all, only got what i wanted for flaring on the 135. i had a dido shooting straight into the lens, and only got what i liked at 135mm..

Yesterday i tested the Elite , 50, 75,100. found it even sharper than the scopes, and flared more than the scope. Tested a 135Hawk, and wasnt sharp at all until 5.6, 135scope did better at wide open. Then again i think the longer the lens the less sharper it gets with these old lens. Also i think each set varies from the other set.

I tried the Kowa's too, was very impressed with the flaring, and lets not forget how small these lens are, Scope is like 10x the weight, 75mm on wards on the scopes each weigh the same as 24-290zoom... The kowas were also quite sharp, but the focusing mechanism was not so good that every time i moved the focus ring back and forth to 3ft, sometimes they would be in focus , sometimes not.. one needs to get them checked before using it for sure.

What i really want to test are the TechnoCookes and the Cineovisions, iv heard they have some crazy random flares, horizontal and vertical. You can see that clearly from some of the shots in Apocalypse now.