Camera for a documentary on a budget

Joshua Gomeh

I'm about to start my first (and possibly last) documentary. The budget comes from my own pocket, and being retired (from Israel), it is extremely tight. Full HD is mandatory. I'll use only manual focus.

I own Canon 7D and few zoom lenses.

For best image quality (within my tight budget), my options are: Stay with the Canon 7D; purchase a second Canon body, like 60D; purchase the Panasonic GH2 with its' kit lens (14-42); purchase the Canon Vixia HF G20.

What are your recommendations?

• Premium Member

Depends what you're aiming to do with it. For standard-definition output or the web, you can safely stick with the 7D. You may want to follow the progress of modifications to allow raw recording, which will enormously improve it.

The Panasonic GH series have somewhat higher technical quality and may be easier to get through a broadcast quality control process, although they don't produce quite such a cinematic image. They're still not perfect, although you do have the option to record it to an external recorder.

Can't tell you about the G20 as I've never used it.

P

the canon vixia HF G20 is a consumer cam. A bit clippy, but when in Cinema mode, it isn't all that bad. It cuts in well with a c300. The panasonic is probably your best best for a doc given your choices.

Thanks.

Is it so also when I'll use only manual focus?

• Premium Member

What about trying to rent? I am sure with the explosion of digital technology these days there is a plethora of slightly older HD cameras laying around to rent out. I miss m old EX1 personally, and honestly I would think you could find those for a song these days on a rental.