The ruite to becoming DP: Camera side of Grip?

Hello,

I am young filmmaker who is trying to figure out the best ruite to becoming a DP.
Now I am aware that there is no such thing as one-ruite but I am trying to decide what department

should I start learning the craft from, from the Grip side or the Camera?

I want to join the local union here in Toronto but cannot figure out which dept to steer to.

Taking the camera dep. ruite in the union, I know takes about 5+ years to get upgraded to 1AC, than Camera Op and eventually to DP position. Ive mainly have worked as 2nd AC so far but realized that I am not learning anything about lighting which slightly upsets me.

I am very interested in lighting, shaping, giving character and texture to it but I am still amateur. Now Ive recently have done couple of Grip shoots which I enjoyed more doing but am not sure I can physcially handle doing the work for long periods of time, eg. weeks (I am 5'2 female, but strong).

I am also thinking of maybe of trying to work in the union as Best-boy/Grip for a job and continuing learning to camera Op on my down time on other small projects since I don't want to abandon the camera side of cinematography.

What advice can anyone give me?

What are the cons and pros of working on either of the dep in the union?

Thank you in advance!