Shooting an indie film in Detroit, want to shoot film. Lab recommendations?

Mike Tounian

Hi Friends,

This forum has always been quick and great with responses so I figured I would get some more input regarding labs. We're looking to shoot a feature exclusively in Detroit, and apparently MI has no lab left. I imagine there are a few factors involved in the choice of a lab, like quality, price, distance, etc. and I would love to hear everyone's feelings or experiences with all of them.

We want to shoot 16mm, but don't want to close the door on 35mm so a lab that does both would be ideal. There is at least one in Toronto, which seems to be the closest, but that crosses a border and I imagine there is some radiation scanning or customs issues involved there that could be a danger. I know there was a lab in Pennsylvania but I can't find anything on it. Clearly Kodak's lab finder site/app hasn't been updated as most of the websites listed are now dead.

Would greatly appreciate everyone's opinions/experiences on this one. Thank you!

Mike Tounian

Hopefully, we can all keep Cinelab going. Just got this DEPRESSING news from Alpha Cine:

From Jean Fee, Alpha Cine:

Hi,

We are sorry to announce that Alpha Cine will no longer process or print motion picture film after the end of September.