Chris Doyle

Guest Nathan Hernandez

Guest Nathan Hernandez

Hey, I read a article on Chris Doyle from a website about his work on Hero and also his life in general. I was amazed he started cinematography at 34, and traveled around the world working jobs as a cow herder in israel and a oil digger in india. He seems to be quite an interesting character and i was seeing if there has been anyone on this website that has worked or met him and what he was like

Im a huge fan of his work and any info about websites or articles on him would be great

cheers

I met him at camerimage festival in 2004 in Lodz, Poland, the meeting took place in the hall there wasn't much chairs so most of us sat on the floor. when he arrived he haven't took the chair that was waiting for him in front of auditorium but just sat on the floor opened a couple of beers distributed few of them among public kept one for himself. And the meeting started he took questions only from girls, didn't answer technical questions only once when asked about one shot from hero where you can see horses moving at normal rate and clouds speeding thru the screen he simply answered he had the horses to move really slowly. He showed us some excerpts from his recent works and then we all prompted to the bar.

P.S.the movie he directed is 'dive bar blues'

Guest sean broyles
he answered questions only from girls ? :) why is that ?

The "Last Life in the Universe" DVD has an interview with the director, Pen-ek Ratanaruang, where he describes what it was like to shoot the film. On more than one occasion he comments about Chris Doyle being very fond of women, specifically being a big flirt with the film's female star (who by the way is quite stunning). This might provide some insight into his behavior.

I just read a section of a book called "Projections 8" that features Chris Doyle's diary during the filming of "Happy Together" in Argentina. Not very technical, but it's definitely a look into Doyle's process with Wong Kar Wai and view on his thought process while shooting. I picked up a copy for under $2 off of Amazon, plus it's got a bunch of other interesting looking stuff in it. There's an interview with Abraham Polonsky I'm looking forwards to, he directed a great film noir called "Force of Evil" among others.

While we're talking Doyle and WKW, has anyone heard anything about "2046" being released theatrically in the US? I'm very interested to see it, but I've been putting off picking up a Hong Kong DVD for awhile, hoping to see it projected.

There's an interview with Abraham Polonsky I'm looking forwards to, he directed a great film noir called "Force of Evil" among others.

If you see "Force Of Evil" you'll want to shoot your whole film on B&W Mike he he

(really it's very very good)

2046 is in the Tribeca Film Festival this month.

It would seem to me it'll get US distribution, Wong is an "art house name" by now plus with that cast......

-Sam

Yeah, I've got a VHS tape of "Force of Evil", it's fantastic. But you're right, if I watch it tonight I'll be lobbying for all B&W at the next production meeting, trouble...

"2046" seems like such an obvious pick-up for an art-house distributor that I'm wondering why it hasn't been licensed up yet. You've got WKW plus all the stars, following up on "House of Flying Daggers", maybe they're waiting for it to win some awards.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
"2046" seems like such an obvious pick-up for an art-house distributor that I'm wondering why it hasn't been licensed up yet.  You've got WKW plus all the stars, following up on "House of Flying Daggers", maybe they're waiting for it to win some awards.

The whole Disney/Miramax/Dimension split has chilled that pipeline for the time being.

Look for the book R24G38B25 - yes, that's the title. It's Chris Doyle's diary of the shooting of Hero. The title refers to to the printer lights for the digital negative of the film.

Chris has shot a very wide range of fiolms - for many years he worked in Hong Kong, but a couple of years ago he spent time with Phillip Noyce shooting The Quiet American and then Rabbit Proof Fence.

We have come to know him and his work quite well here at Atlab.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
info about websites or articles on him would be great

Doyle does the commentary track for the DVD version of the film Last Life in the Universe. He doesn't talk about technical issues much. Instead, he presents his views on the aesthetics of photography and talks about his preferred approach to filmmaking.