Arri SR2 for Ultra 16

Isaac Brooks

Hi,

Has anyone converted an SR2 for Ultra 16? Been thinking about doing this on a 1985 SR2. Any hugely known pros or cons for how the format mixes with the SR would be of help.

Is the gate usually replaced, or modified?

Also, I have a viewing screen that is marked for standard 16, and quite nicely, as the camera is a relatively late model SR2. Via the CE speed control, the screen's markings are illuminated by the speed control panel. With a newly marked ultra 16 screen, will it be possible to have similarly illuminated markings? Not a deal breaker, but I like how the viewfinder is usable in low light conditions, and would not want to loose that function with a custom-marked screen.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks,

Isaac

• Premium Member

Why not just go S16mm with it. It's a much more common format for the SRs and opens up a lot of fun things with the camera, also is easier to find labs/post who are used to it. One of the problems I've seen/hear of with U16 is the relative scant post landscape for it.

Hi,

I have a few cameras, and the SR is solid and wonderful, but I'm imaging it being Ultra capable, and I like the idea. I'm looking for an option that doesn't cost as much as the super 16 mod, plus the cost of a pl mount being installed, which I would prefer if it was in super 16.

I think ultra is pretty viable. I make films on standard 16 as well, and the camera will be more or less preserved in that capacity. CineLab, Cineliscious and few other places offer good deals on transfers on recently updated, high quality machines, and if a lab can process super and regular 16 both, ultra is possible too. That said, I prefer the generally improved quality in optics and camera features that accompany super 16. I recently sold my xtr prod which is actually haunting me a bit. But ultra exists as an option if you want a camera original / negative that is affordable but a little more market friendly. I appreciate the council though, as I hope to win back a super 16 rig at some point.

So if anyone else has experience with the trusty SR2 in Ultra let me know. I'd really like to see footage too.

• Premium Member

Why not just go S16mm with it. It's a much more common format for the SRs and opens up a lot of fun things with the camera, also is easier to find labs/post who are used to it. One of the problems I've seen/hear of with U16 is the relative scant post landscape for it.

I agree but it is much cheaper to just widen the gate on both sides rather than recentering the lens and everything else associated with S16.

It would be easy and cheap to do, contact Bernie at Super 16 Inc... I believe he's done that before.

• 4 weeks later...

I just purchased an SR2 from e-bay and I am considering converting it to ultra 16mm. Bernie quoted 1150 for the body conversion and 200 each for film magazine conversion.I'm guessing with good glasses, you can't go wrong with an Ultra mod, plus you can always shoot 4;3 if you wanted and the extra resolution available in Super 16, although great, i can't justify the added expenses etc.