Advice and Opinions please

Ryan Brown

I've been asked to submit a proposal as potential DP on a new 1 hour doc style TV show in the style of "VH1 behind the music". Interviews with various celebs intercut with footage of their careers, that type of thing. It will be aired on cable television as it's first outlet. It's a pretty big opportunity for me, so I'm looking for ideas that I may not have thought of

The director wants me to send him a few ideas I have on the look, what camera to shoot on, what lights we'd need and why. Some info: We'll be a small crew and we need to stay as portable as possible, as there will be a lot of travel involved. Most of my job wold be camera/lighting of the interview portions of the show, along with some B-roll etc. I'm assuming because of busy scheduling, a few of the interviews won't give me a lot of setup time, but I will have a small team with me.

The director does not want to use a backdrop, but he wants some sort of uniform look for all the interviews. From the work I've done with him previously, I know he likes very shallow DOF.

I already have my ideas of what I'd shoot on and everything else I need, but I don't want to influence this thread yet, so I'd like to hear what you guys come up with. I'm hoping to hear some fresh ideas that I've overlooked or haven't even thought of.

Need to submit in two days, so any and all advice and opinions are welcome!

cheers