Gravity...

Mercy! What an amazing flick! Just saw it at TCL Chinese theater in IMAX 3D tonight. Brilliant. NOt cheesy 3D--tastefully done and in the right spots.

I'm scouring the internet looking for BTS footage on this super secret way of shooting it.

Sandra was adorable.. kinda like how she was in Demolition Man... :D

definitely worth $40.00...

I'm scouring the internet looking for BTS footage on this super secret way of shooting it.

It's called CGI ;) This may be this year's Life of Pi.

Prime Focus has a little demo of their 3D conversion technique with some Gravity footage on their website as well.

There's a pretty solid piece on the VFX end of things at:

www.fxguide.com/featured/gravity/

and I've got a general dp/vfx thing and a Cuaron interview at:

www.icgmagazine.com/wordpress/2013/10/04/star-fall/

www.icgmagazine.com/wordpress/2013/10/04/exposure-alfonso-cuaron/

Also if you search on BOT AND DOLLY website you can see vids of their robots doing their stuff (and also some really amazing real-time mapping of graphics that has nothing to do with GRAVITY but is too cool not to mention.)

• Premium Member

Mercy! What an amazing flick! Just saw it at TCL Chinese theater in IMAX 3D tonight. Brilliant. NOt cheesy 3D--tastefully done and in the right spots.

Sandra was adorable.. kinda like how she was in Demolition Man... :D

definitely worth $40.00...

Visually imnpressive, but I can imagine more than a few real NASA astronauts rolling their eyes earthward at some of the liberties taken with the way things actually behave in zero gravity ... :rolleyes:

Also, the danger from exploding satellites is mostly from just a single piece of debris striking your spacecraft at a hypersonic velocity, not the slow-moving shitstorm depicted in the movie.

Getting hit with a mess like that would roughly be the equivalent of firing a shotgun in New York and having most of the pellets hitting somebody in LA. :P

Space is a HUGE place...

• Premium Member

Visually imnpressive, but I can imagine more than a few real NASA astronauts rolling their eyes earthward at some of the liberties taken with the way things actually behave in zero gravity ... :rolleyes:

Also, the danger from exploding satellites is mostly from just a single piece of debris striking your spacecraft at a hypersonic velocity, not the slow-moving shitstorm depicted in the movie.

Getting hit with a mess like that would roughly be the equivalent of firing a shotgun in New York and having most of the pellets hitting somebody in LA. :P

Space is a HUGE place...

http://www.vulture.com/2013/10/astronaut-fact-checks-gravity.html

I've seen it just a week ago as well and I'm very impressed. It was not boring at all like I originally thought it would be. Did you watch it in IMAX with the D-BOX that's why it's $40? I only went for regular 3D but I can't complain.

I was also have been on a hunt for BTS footage so thanks KH Martin for those links.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a good recent in-depth interview with Emmanuel Lubezki.

One of the Greatest Cinematographers Ever: Gravity‘s Emmanuel Lubezki

Excerpt:

This is the first film you shot entirely digitally—how did this change your process?

I’ve been working with digital cameras for a while, but I’ve never done a fully digital film. When we started doing prep for Gravity and began figuring out how to shoot it, we quickly realized that film was not an option.

Why not?

That had to do with what happens with the film grain in 3D, because the film grain lives in a very specific place in the depth of 3D that just looks weird. It almost looks like a curtain, so we couldn’t use film. And then the other thing we realized is that because of how long the shots are, and how complicated it was going to be for me and Alfonso to be near the actors, we liked that digital cameras and their monitors allowed us to have a very good idea of how the film was going to look and what the actors were doing. We could really watch, with very high detail, their expressions. Also talking to Tim Weber [Gravity’s VFX supervisor] about the fact that we were going to do all the digital compositing, we realized we had to do the movie digitally.

I'll grudgingly concede the AC piece has got more tech info, in terms of what kinds of lights were used and such. Then again, the AC articles usually get more space too (when I wrote for them briefly many years back, I think the big features ran at least 3000 words, but the ICG pieces are usually 2000-2250.) I spend more time cutting the articles down to size than I do writing them, and GRAVITY was no exception.