Good cinematography schools in Europe?!

Guest Line

Hi cinematographers!

Does anybody know about any good filmschools for cinematography here in Europe? I've heard that the Danish Film School and Lodz have good reputations for example, what do you think? I´d really like to hear more.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,

/Line

Thank you Laurent Andrieux!

That was an interesting site and discussion. I just saw that I had written the wrong name of the danish film school, the correct name was

The National Film School of Denmark.

Anybody that knows anything about the cinematography departement there? Or a site where they might know?!

Hoping for answers!

Best regards,

/Line

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Line

Snakker du dansk? Po polsku? Both film schools operate in their native language, so you have to spend some time to learn either language.

I spent 9 months in Lodz, Poland 5 years ago, on a "exchange" sort of thing, except for the fact I was not a student any other place. They have this 2 semester course, where you pay, of course, and then you can arrange your own schedule there, following the different classes on the different years. At least that how it was back then. I found it to be cool, mainly because of the many different student nationalities, but I was never any good at going to school... So I was happy to move on.

Both schools are good, but both schools are in two very different countries.

Good luck

Marcel

Thank you Marcel!

Danish is no problem for me, because I speak swedish. But polish is a bit more complicated... But maybe I´ll try really hard with the Danish Film School. Where are you from? Since you know about the Danish Film School. I mean, I know about it but then I live in Sweden. What I wonder is, how is the reputation of the Danish Film School (Cinematography departement) in Europe? It´s just interesting to hear. Or if people know about Dramatiska Institutet, that´s the film school in Sweden which has a cinematography departement.

Thanks once more!

Best regards,

/Line

Hej Line

I was born and I still live here in Copenhagen Denmark. That's how I know of the school. I know a few people who have been to the school. I would think they are satisfied with it. But it is no guarentee for work. That is up to talent and connections...

If it has a reputation in Europe or in the rest of the world I'm not aware of to be honest. I believe it is one of the most expensive educations in this country, after the F16 pilot education, believe it or not. (I'm not sure if that is a good or a bad thing) Thankfully, we do not pay for our educations ourselves in this country. We have high tax though... So in a way we do pay...

Are you in Stockholm?

Ha det bra

Med venlig hilsen

Marcel

• Premium Member
I believe it is one of the most expensive educations in this country, after the F16 pilot education, believe it or not. (I'm not sure if that is a good or a bad thing) Thankfully, we do not pay for our educations ourselves in this country. We have high tax though... So in a way we do pay...

Same in France, on both considerations...

Same in France, on both considerations...

Well, swedish is not far from German...

try German schools - I start studies at Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg in Ludwigsburg near Stuttgart (www.filmakademie.de). Well, people say it is the best for cinematography in Germany right now and the big hit: since now German film schools do not charge anything (like Lodz does)... There they have 35mm, 16mm, HD CAM, Digibeta, big studio, very good equipped post facilities...

There three more or less good ones in Germany - HFF Potsdam (www.hff-potsdam.de) near Berlin (oldest German film school and specialized on cinema shooting and best equipped one in Germany but this doesn't really count and has to say nothing...), DFFB (www.dffb.de) in Berlin and HFF München (www.hff-muenchen.de) in Munich.

Anyways and there is one post graduate school Filmschule Hamburg where you pay and get 2 years study.

Well and I studied one semester in Tampere, Finland at TTVO school (there was one Swedish guy as well) (www.tamk.fi/ttvo) but there is only one programme in English others in Finish :D

Well, I recommend German schools or FEMIS in Paris (un des meilleurs!!!), as well for free for European citizens.

Good luck, application is quite hard in Germany because you should have made some good short films before.

Edited by Hagen