Log-C displaying as Rec709 in FCPX?

Mark Kenfield

• Premium Member

Hi Guys,

I'm editing my first Alexa project in FCPX and for some reason the clips are being displayed in what appears to be rec709 gamma (when they were recorded in Log-C).

I want to keep the footage in Log-C so that my eventual export to Resolve for colour grading works properly. But when I try and export the footage at the moment, it's being exported in rec709 and I'm losing a tonne of my highlight detail as a result.

Is there some way to switch this automatic rec709 display off?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Good point.

In the 'Info' section of the the 'Inspector' panel in FCPX there's a little drop-down menu box at the bottom. By default it sits on 'General View'.

Click 'General View' and change the selection to 'Settings View'.

This brings up a 'Log Processing' checkbox, which you can then simply de-select if you want to work without a rec709 LUT applied to your footage.

This is explained in Apple's user manual, but it's explained really badly - so try as I might, I couldn't find the 'Settings View' option until Oliver helped out.

Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, thanks for this helpful information.

Unfortunately it seems the Log switch button is no longer there in FCP X 10.1.4

If there is a work around or I am looking somewhere different than I am supposed to I would appreciate it.

Best

Padraic

Unfortunately it seems the Log switch button is no longer there in FCP X 10.1.4

If there is a work around or I am looking somewhere different than I am supposed to I would appreciate it.

It's in there. You have to switch metadata views until the pulldown menu comes up.