af100a asia shoot prep

Joao Atala

Cheers guys,

I've been prepping for a shoot in Asia and I have a few questions that perhaps someone could enlighten me based on experience with this camera.

Like I said, we'll be very far from any metropolitan area, so please take into consideration reliability on your help.

God knows why this camera but the client wants it.

Here are my questions:

1. I'm using an external recorder, basically would llike some tips on that. It outputs via SDI 8-Bit 4:2:2 uncompressed footage. I really like the PIX 240i, but is it overkill for my needs? The PIX records up to 12-Bit Prores 4444, and the camera only outputs 8-Bit 4:2:2. If so, Is the AJA ki pro mini or the Atomos Samurai worth a shot?

2. The glass for the job is a set of PL mount LOMOS. Which PL adaptor for MFT do you recommend? I've seen stuff on the web on the Vocas and on the Chrosziel one (which seems to need 15mm rods for mounting?). Is there any peculiarity I should know of regarding any of these adaptors?

3. How is the battery life on this bad boy?

Any piece of advice on this gear would be greatly appreciated. I've got only one day for testing and I want to be ready.

thanks a lot guys

• Premium Member

If you end up with a Samurai recorder, I'd have two. I've had reliability problems with them. The symptom I've had is that you hit record, the timecode ticks up one frame, then it drops out of record again. Many restarts and battery reinsertions later it spontaneously resolved.

But then again they are moderately cheap. Not quite as cheap as I'd like given the reliability and build quality (plasticky) but they are cheap.

P