Any movies shot anamorphically in 1.78:1?

Nate Opgenorth

Are their any movies/TV shows shot anamorphically in 1.78:1? This is probably confusing but I didnt have enough space to fully clarify. Are their any movies shot on say 4-perf with hawk v-lite 1.33x anamorphics to go from 1.33:1 (4:3) to 1.78:1 (16:9) / 1.85:1. I was thinking about this a few days ago, I sort of associate anamorphic with a certain time frame or at least the very obvious looks of C-Series. Hawks don't flare or look like C-series and they are 1.33x not 2x but I think it would be interesting to shoot a show for TV using something like an Arri Alexa 4:3 or 4-perf 35mm with 1.33x anamorphics to bring the aspect ratio to 1.78:1. I think for a show with a story based in the 70's, 80's, etc. this would make it look unique to other shows I would think. I think if you got the right film stock and/or color grade it would be an interesting look. Just some thoughts, so has anyone heard of this being done before? Anyone interested in the idea! I'm a die hard fan of 2.39:1 and anamorphic but I realize that 2.39:1 would be insane for TV production (unless your really balsy!) but at the same time I love anamorphic...of course you could crop anamorphic 2.39:1 I guess.....

The movie "Promised Land" was shot with the 1.3X Hawks on 4-perf 35mm for a 1.85 release.

Hmm I'll have to take a look at that. Looks interesting, even if it isn't I've been known to watch movies soley for the good or unique cinematography. Just curious do you have any thoughts on the look? Would it be something you'd be interested in shooting on a project or are you more of a spherical guy? It seams that their is a small resurgance of anamorphic and its got me excited as I simply love the look (when done well).

The pilot for this year's FX show "The Bridge" was shot with 2x anamorphics (don't know what kind) on the Alexa, I think, for 1.78.

I read about the series..looks VERY interesting...I'll have to hunt down a source to view it. Interesting approach..I honestly didn't expect to see these approaches used so its quite interesting and exciting to say the least!

• Premium Member

The 1.3X Hawk anamorphic look is pretty subtle. There was a 3-perf movie called "Emperor" (about MacArthur in Japan) shot by Stuart Dryburgh using 1.3X anamorphics, which he also did for the upcoming "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" movie. The look is sort of halfway between spherical and anamorphic, as you'd expect, so it's hard to spot, especially outdoors when the lens is stopped down.

For "Promised Land" it helped get a cleaner image on 4-perf 35mm film for a 1.85 image because more of the negative was used, and there was a slightly shallower-focus look (the idea was to get the effect of larger format Kodachromes) so I think it was a good idea, but on a digital camera, while you'd get more resolution for 1.85 or 1.78 on a 4x3 sensor like the Alexa has, you don't get the grain benefit, so it may be too subtle to be worth the effort -- you might be better off using 2X anamorphics for a stronger effect.