Can someone post photos of developed negative, please?

Jana Slamova

Hello,

I'm doing some school project, and I need to know exactly how the processed and developed film negative (preferably Kodak Vision3) looks. Can someone, please, post here some detailed photos of processed and developed film negative that comes directly from camera (no copy)? I would be extremelly grateful!! :wub:

What is the main differences between processed and developed negative from camera and distribution copy film stock? Does the distribution copies usually using the same film stock type that is used in camera? Is there some distribution copies on Kodak Vision3? Does Kodak Vision3 contain sound, and if yes, what type? Can Kodak Vision3 (or other camera film negative) contain SDDS or Dolby Digital sound, or just analogue optical audio?

Many thanks in advance for all your replies!!

Edited by Jana Slamova

There's allot of questions there,

Basicaly the difference between Negative stock and Pint stock is the negative will be more dense and flat so that it can hold more information most negative film range from 50-500ASA, the print stock has more contrast and fixes the flat look from the negative they usaully in the range of 6-10ASA, the print stock also is made from a stronger material then negatives are because they use polyester base instead to handle repeated use. These days the bulk of the sound you will find only on the print film as it needs to be added in later, most prints will contain all formats including SDDS Dolby etc

Download this PDF from KODAK page 38 onwards you'll find pictures in Negative form and really should read this it explains all your questions

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploadedFiles/Kodak/motion/Education/Publications/Essential_Reference_Guide/kodak_essential_reference_guide.pdf

Hello Paul, many thanks for your reply!!

That PDF seems to be really good source of informations. I have googled for something like this, but without succes.

My point is to distinguish between the camera negative and distribution copy, if I got both in my hands not knowing which is which. According to your reply and that PDF file, beside small differences in image quality (contrast, colors, definition), material strength and absence of sound in camera negative, there is HUGE difference in the color of film strips, because developed film negative is light orange and got some text printed near the perforation, while distribution copy is black.

Have I understood this correctly?

• Premium Member

Depending on the size of the mask used in the printer, the keycode and edge numbers on the edge of the negative can be copied onto the print, like for work print used in film editing. Or printer light can be masked off of the edges so that information doesn't get copied onto the print stock.

I'm not sure but I would think that the print stock will still have its own identification numbers on the edge somewhere.

These days, a release print would not only have optical and digital sound tracks on it (also called a composite print), it would be on Estar (polyester plastic) base instead of acetate. But older prints may also be on acetate base.

Of course the original negative of a final cut movie used for printing would also have splices in it, and it may have some sections in A-B printing rolls, whereas a dupe negative made from an interpositive would look similar and have that orange mask, but have no splices in it and be single-strand, no A-B rolls.