Transportation/Mobility on a Beach

Lucky Cheng

I'm soon shooting on a beach where we can't get the spot where we're shooting by car and it's a bit of a ways out from the parking lot. Is there some kind of cart you guys can recommend for beach work? We don't have a permit for an ATV/Gator. We won't have tons of gear, but we will have some combis, rags, DC powered lights, and most of my Arricam package.

I thought of beach carts, but most of the ones I've seen are flimsy and made of fabric. Also considered Magliners, but everything would have to be tied down..

• Premium Member

believe you me, I know the pains of Wildwood's NJ beach all to well-- both in terms of filming on and walking across. But yeah, the carts work well and come highly recommended. The bigger issue isn't going to be getting on and off the beach; but keeping the sand out of every god-forsaken port there is. I normally find rain covers helpful to at least try to keep the body clean/safe.

• 1 month later...

I usually get about 50 sheets of 1/2" CDX plywood and lay a path for carts and video village. Its cheap and light weight. If this costs too much you can always get less and leap frog your way out there (this takes time/$$$ as well).

For heavy vehicles I'll lay down rolls of chain link fence which gives the tires traction in the sand.

• Premium Member

Yeah, be mentally prepared for a full strip down of most of your equipment after the fact. I had to completely dismantle my tripod and pull the outer body off my camera last time I shot on the beach, that was a day's unpaid labour I'd rather not have to do again!

Edited by Mark Kenfield