Fluorescent Lighting from TL-D Graphica 950

I made this one for filming for many projects in University.

Before I used some typical Flo-tube which give green spike on Daylight WB (5200K on Canon DSLR).

Later on I used Osram StudioLine 55/5600. Pretty great light but some how skin tone looks a bit off and cast Magenta (actually they maybe intended to used in studio just like there name for Chroma key lighting)

995869_10202504003992349_1290706755_n.jp

The most fascinated tube for me is TL-D Graphica 950 from Philips which rated at CRI 97 with CCT 5300K.

1146717_10201826302970247_1910535405_n.j

The picture is shot on Canon 60D

DIT 4ft 2bank TL-D Graphica 950

250W 5500K HMI also DIY
ISO 250 PS : N
F4.5 1/50 WB : 5200K

1377020_10202494040023256_664823581_n.jp

Matched perfectly with Daylight and give really good skin tone. I loved this more than real Kino bulb which sometime cast Magenta as they designed for higher power rated.

Thank you.

Edited by Chanon Wangtrirat

Philips TL-D Graphica 950 is 4ft 36W T8 tube that design to used in household fixtures. It's printing colour inspection lamp which gave very realistic colour on D50 standard.

about $20 per tube

http://www.ecat.lighting.philips.com/l/lamps/fluorescent-lamps/tl-d/master-tl-d-90-graphica/21383/cat/

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/philips-graphica-pro-tld-90-36w-950-4ft//p2771

Osram StudioLine 55/5600 use same base as Diva-lite tubes ,2G11 base

Philips also make 2ft 18W and 5ft 58W version.

Edited by Chanon Wangtrirat

• Premium Member

I flee in terror from $20 a tube when they're so alarmingly easy to break!

And I'd need 16 tubes to relamp all my stuff. Ouch.

I use protective sleeves on mine - not so much to protect them from being broken, which is difficult, but to contain the mess if they are damaged.

P

Yes, It's really fragile especially with 4ft or more. I almost be a gaffer in the team, Look after this fragile stuff.

If you buy bulk of it. the price will go down as in Thailand here go as low as $120 per 10 tubes.

I've also look at some LED tubes but none of them offer quality light as I expected, Useless green cast and poor skin tone.

The TLD-950 and TLD-930s are great tubes when filming in offices or anywhere you want to keep practical fluros on, but want don't want green/magenta casts. Have spend many hours swapping out domestic tubes for TLD950/930 tubes. They're a pretty nice match to kinos.

I wouldn't uses these day in-day out in kino fixtures, with kino balasts, as kino ballasts over drive the tubes(the kino tubes themselves are designed to be overdriven as opposed to a standard tube) and the rendering gets a little inconsistent once the tube gets hot. Also the fragility of the tube doesn't really lend itself to the wear and tear being used arround set.

• Premium Member

I use these.

Protectedsleeve.jpg

I get the impression they're really intended to allow people to maintain standards required for food preparation areas - hence the blue - but they serve to avoid throwing glass and toxic chemicals everywhere if you break a tube.

They look tougher than they are - the plastic is very thin and you can compress the tube between a thumb and forefinger, so it's more about mess prevention than actually making the tubes tougher.

Yes, kino ballasts will make standard tubes emit more yellow.