What degree is highly looked on to be a Cinematopgraher?

Hello community,

I am extatic to be a part of this forum. I am a recent gradute with a Bachelors of Science in Communications Technology consentration in Video Production from the New England School of Communications. I now reside in Las Vegas and have been looking into seeking a higher education. A few programs I have considered in my search are Bachelors in Film and Masters of Fine Arts in Creative Writing to name a few.

I have several goals I wish to achieve in my life time in the film industry, which include being a cineamtographer and writer to name a few. I am very very interested in furthering my education but want to make sure i get the proper degree that will help me get a job and not just look good on my resume. Can someone please assits me with some advice on this matter, and any degrees or programs that you know of that will be beneficial for the job market of the future.

Andrew McQuinn

Cinematographer - Writer - Director - Editor

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Degrees in themselves are not a requirement for most work in the film industry, people get hired based on their work experience, their reel (if a DP), and their references. So I wouldn't think of a college education in terms of how it gets you a job, rather, what it teaches you (and what work you produce that can be used as a demo reel). Getting a job is a different matter.

It certainly doesn't hurt to be at a big film school that has a good track record for getting students onto internships, for example, or regularly has successful graduates, which implies that your fellow students may help you find work as part of your network after graduation.

Am I speaking out if turn if I suggest that if you're going to be a writer that a disclaimer regarding your apparent dyslexia might save... well... I guess, posts such as the one you're reading?

Incorrect spelling and grammar affect the flow of communication - as a continuity error or bad cut would on screen.

• 1 month later...

Degrees in themselves are not a requirement for most work in the film industry, people get hired based on their work experience, their reel (if a DP), and their references. So I wouldn't think of a college education in terms of how it gets you a job, rather, what it teaches you (and what work you produce that can be used as a demo reel). Getting a job is a different matter.

It certainly doesn't hurt to be at a big film school that has a good track record for getting students onto internships, for example, or regularly has successful graduates, which implies that your fellow students may help you find work as part of your network after graduation.

Same in photography. I never did any photography course, but I have a reputation now amongst my extended network of friends and family. The only problem there is that I'm not practicing photography professionally yet. I still haven't committed fully to it as a job so I don't have the influx of work that other photographers I know have.

I still get freelance work entirely by word of mouth (including Facebook etc) though.

Your portfolio is what confirms your skills and your attitude and reputation will secure you work if you can build a network of people who can vouch for you, in my experience.