Frustrated trying to find decent scene files for the C300

Mathew Rudenberg

So I find myself constantly dismayed by the c300.

Whatever I do I cannot find a scene file that I like.

The gammas all seem way too contrasty, even the cinema2. So frequently I end up shooting in log, not for more latitude in color correction but just to get a decent looking gamma curve.

On one shoot I had a Epic and a c300 next to each other and I swear the redgamma3 was less contrasty then the c300 log setting.

Then there's the color. I've tried Art Adams Alexa look but the skin tones lost all their color. I've gone through the Abel Cinetech looks. Whatever I do the colors look weird - some are too saturated while others too weak, and skintones always seem off.

Do any of you have scene files that you are completely happy with?

Thanks in advance

Usually if I'm on a show where the c300 makes the most sense malleability is more of a liability then a benefit.

If they can't afford a higher end camera they usually cannot afford an experienced colorist and true color correction suite either. While I'd usually prefer to shoot for the color session, in these situations hard experience has taught me it is better to bake in a look that's 80/90 percent there rather then leave color to the whims of an assistant editor messing around in final cut pro.

Edited by Mathew Rudenberg

Canon has already announced that it is going to make available the Wide DR Gamma through a firmware update sometime this month. The WDR gamma is specifically aimed at webseries, documentaries etc. So you should try that once the firmware update is available.