Movies with excellent cinematography. Ideas?

Adam R Koehler

This is a good thread for lots of peoples opinions on films with great cinematography:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=54528

As with most things in life it can be a matter of taste there are just so many movies out there! Personally I find I generally don't agree with the Academy for example (especially the most recent wins in the cinematography category).

Freya

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0882201/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr4

This is a cinematographer that beats the socks off American DOPs Sergei Urusevsky

"Letter Never Senr"

"The Cranes are Flying"

"I am Cuba"

and of course the great "Forty First"

I can't say I agree. The only difference between his work here and his peers in Hollywood are the politics in the film. Like your politics in the discussion on interns. There seems to be a common denominator where your interest in politics and film are intertwined.

And what I mean by no difference outside of politics is I do think the cinematography in your examples is superb, but not beating the socks off equally great cinematographers in Hollywood superb.

I agree with "Barry Lyndon". A terrific movie to write a paper on cinematography. Although, like David stated, it's a pretty broad question. If you're looking to discuss symmetry and lines in composition as well as the colour of the actor's costume in relation to the colour of the sets, I think "The Shining" is a great movie to use for the paper. Same for the first half of "Full Metal Jacket". Just youtube "Happy Birthday Jesus Full Metal Jacket" to see what I mean.

Edited by Pat Murray

Just watched Tarsem Singh's "The Fall" - the entire movie is on YouTube. The cinematography is fine (and the title sequence is definitely quite stunning) but I couldn't stop watching the film proper. Following the title sequence is a rock solid introduction to the narrative space of the film, set in an LA hospital in the 20s. Excellent editing and sound design work to weave a world around you - one I found impossible to exit. The main attraction of this film is, however, just one of the most extraordinary performances (if that's the right word) by a child in cinema you are ever likely to come across ...

I was really quite touched by this film.

C

I gotta say, I love the cinematography in "Northfork", "The Smell of Success' and "The Astronaut Farmer." I think they are brilliant examples of the cinematic art. Among those that are not Mr. Mullen's, Days of Heaven and Apocalypse Now for me are are shear genius. I've also been a fan of the Merchant / Ivory films "Remains of the Day", "Howard's End" as well as David Lean's films "Bridge over the River Kwai" and "Lawrence of Arabia". George Roy "Hill's Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid". Lucas' "Star Wars", Coppola's "The Godfather", John Boorman's "Excalibur", Scott's "Legend" (I could go on about Ridley Scott all day long), Phil Kaifman's "The Right Stuff" Ron Howard's "Apollo 13", Tony Scott's "Top Gun" . There's a bunch more but I don't want to hog the thread.