For Sale: Arri 16 Fiberglass Blimp for 16S or 16M

Richard Joneleit

• Premium Member
8679370657_ab31b50fbd.jpg
I'm selling my very rare Arriflex 16 Fiberglass Blimp. This is for use with either a 16S or a 16M and and mounting plates for both are included.
This was purchased a few years ago from forum member Tim Carroll who also ran the great website www.arri16s.com. Tim did a beautiful job of restoring this gorgeous piece of film history.
The lens pictured is not included. The 16M camera and mags are not included, although they are for sale separately (see separate listing). They are in these photos only to demonstrate how a camera would fit inside the blimp. I also am separately selling a Tobin TXM-22A motor that would go very well with this blimp. The blimp's shutter advance knob seems just a few mm too short to reach the Tobin's knob, so you may want into fashioning an extension on the rubber knob that reaches toward the motor on the inside of the blimp.
One of the two latches is broken on the wooden shipping case but everything made it to me ok with that broken and it's always held shut firmly enough with just the one latch. Also, the power cable that connects a 12V battery (4-pin Cannon) to the outside of the blimp will need to be rewired if you intend to use the blimp for anything besides decoration. This cable provides power for the camera inside to run, as well as power for the interior lightbulbs so you can push buttons and see things inside like the fps tachometer. The cable was just old and brittle and started melting in one spot (a couple of photos are included). The connectors both look fine, so I would guess a technician could make you a replacement cable or two. I just haven't had time to get that done. The seals on the two doors (the top magazine door and the side camera body door) don't seem quite as tight as they were a few years ago so that may be one other thing to have checked if you intend to use it for the purpose it was designed. When I first got this from Tim, it did an amazing job of silencing a very noisy 16S, but I have not tested it recently.

The thought that went into the intricate design of this blimp is really impressive. It is in excellent condition. I would love to keep this as decoration for my apartment but I moved to NYC a few months ago and there just isn't space.
$800 O.B.O.
Please send me a PM if interested. I'm free to show it in Montebello, CA through Tuesday 12/3. If that's too soon, I can coordinate another time for for a relative of mine to show it to you since I'll be heading back to New York. For convenience, preference will be given if there is a buyer in the LA area who will pick up in person and pay cash.

More pictures!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95212445@N02/sets/72157633332383091/

Thanks for looking!
Rich

• Premium Member
"The blimp's shutter advance knob seems just a few mm too short to reach the Tobin's knob, so you may want into fashioning an extension on the rubber knob that reaches toward the motor on the inside of the blimp."

Hi Rich,

The shutter advance knob is supposed to sit a few millimeters away from the motor when in use. To advance the shutter on the camera, you push in on the "telephone dial" knob on the back of the blimp, which brings the shutter advance knob up into contact with the advance shaft on the Tobin motor, or on the Arri motor.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

Thanks, Tim! I've found some Tobin motors have a shaft that extends out further than others. For example, the shaft on my older TXM-22 is longer than the one on my TXM-22A. The rubber plunger seems to barely touch my A's advance shaft when that "telephone dial" knob on the blimp is pushed in, and won't advance the shutter. Though I don't remember if i ever tried it, I think the older Arri variable speed or constant speed motors would work fine since they have a cup-shaped advance knob that the arrow-shaped plunger would fit right into.

I wonder how many people out there know what we're talking about :)

• Premium Member

Thanks, Tim! I've found some Tobin motors have a shaft that extends out further than others. For example, the shaft on my older TXM-22 is longer than the one on my TXM-22A. The rubber plunger seems to barely touch my A's advance shaft when that "telephone dial" knob on the blimp is pushed in, and won't advance the shutter. Though I don't remember if i ever tried it, I think the older Arri variable speed or constant speed motors would work fine since they have a cup-shaped advance knob that the arrow-shaped plunger would fit right into.

Hi Rich,

I've actually never seen a TXM-22A motor. I had to make that shaft as it was missing when I acquired the blimp from Rochester. I had the blimp set up for the two ARRI motors, and it worked fine, and the TXM-22, which also worked fine. Did not realize the TXM-22A has a shaft that doesn't stick out as far as the others.

Best,

-Tim

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member

Something a potential buyer might want to know, the front blimp glass originally from ARRI slowly hazed in the forty some years that it was owned by Rochester, so I had Schneider custom make a new front glass element for the blimp. It is crystal clear and optically perfect.

Best,

-Tim

• 3 weeks later...