So, Pocket Cinema Camera with FCP 7, no problem?

Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

Hi Folks,

Been gone for a long time, paying the bills doing photojournalism. Been itching to get back to cinematography for a while, but haven't made the leap.

Just discovered the BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera today and was pretty blown away, as I was always a huge fan of the Super 16mm format and still have quite a bit of 16mm glass.

My question has to do with the camera, the codecs, and Final Cut Pro. I really loved using FCP from version 1.2.5 all the way up to 7.0.3. Didn't get along well with the new FCP as my old system was set up like a typical film editing suite, and the new FCP just screamed Video, Video, Video. Can I use the Pocket Cinema Camera, my 16mm glass, and edit everything in FCP 7, like in the old film days? It seems like folks are using FCP 7 with this camera. Or do you need to be using the latest FCP (whatever it's called).

Thanks for any and all input.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

Sure you can if you shoot in prores. It's native in FCP. if you shoot raw you'd need to do the intermediate step of making "dailies" via resolve. This can be done in a batch with a quick lut on it, but it is an added step. Then you'd want to match back to the raws for the final grade in order to take advantage of the 12bits of data which raw gets you.

• Premium Member

Thanks Adrian,

Is "resolve" a separate program or part of FCP 7 (not used it before)?

And do I assume correctly that the RAW 12bit image is going to be higher res and better for projection than the ProRes image?

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

It wont' be higher resolution-- both the raw and the prores use the full sensor which is 1920x1080. What you will have in the raw is the ability to manipulate the data to a greater degree. Think of the raw as more of a negative where even white balance isn't yet baked in ect.

For Most situations, however, while raw is "better," one can get by with prores and really not notice the difference.