Menance arm/boom arm setup

andrew ward

Ima buy a Modern Studio menace arm kit.

I want to use a 12by pole and also maybe have 2x6by poles with a joiner.

Im wondering how the balance works. With a straight 12ft pole would you put 2ft behind the head and 10ft in front?

Is there a standard ratio to how much pole is in front of or behind the stand?

Also, you couldnt reasonably go much longer than 12by total pole with joiners could you?

Its probably just for hanging small hairlights so im wondering if its worth trying like 3x6by poles with 2 joiners or if it gets unsafe.

Yes i know menace arms are dangerous and only trained grips should be doing them.

Any advice welcome. Thanks!!

It sort of varies from set up to set up depending on which stand you use, how long your boom is, and what you're putting on the end of it.

Here's a photo of one. http://b.vimeocdn.com/ts/329/247/329247737_640.jpg

You need to balance the load of the light on your boom end with shot bags on the other end. So, if your light is sticking 10 feet out, and you only have 2 feet on the back end, then you're going to need more counterweight than if you gave yourself 3 feet on the back end instead. Keep in mind that there are weight limits on the stands. A mambo combo has a limit of around 90 pounds. You could go over 12 feet, so long as the maximum weight limit isn't exceeded. I recently built a menace arm with a pretty hefty light on the end (15-20lbs). It only extended about 8 or 9 feet out, but I didn't want to go any further with it than that. Once it starts getting that heavy, it's a pain to raise it up in the air. You might want to get a ladder or two and raise it first and then start securing it and adding your weight and light if it's going to be too heavy to raise afterwards.

Bag the stand down well, obviously, and throw a strap from the back end to the bottom of the riser housing to keep it safe from tipping once it's in the air. You'll want another guy to help.

• 1 month later...