Today's Office

Tim Tyler

Love the Modern Studio gear on the "ladder shot". Those small 5/8th clamps etc. are such a massive help.

I'm sure you know that instead of two C-clamps, 4 Cardi, 2 baby grips heads and misc, there is a single clamp that will fasten the high/low-hat to the top of a step ladder.

It's OK, we just stand on each others' shoulders.

Oh, okay. I know you've mention a near complete absence of C-stands on shoots (except multi-billion blockbusters), but when you have something that resembles a real light stand, do you do the "human sandbag" thing as well?

I'm sure you know that instead of two C-clamps, 4 Cardi, 2 baby grips heads and misc, there is a single clamp that will fasten the high/low-hat to the top of a step ladder.

I do, but I love the versatility of those clamps. Nice to know that you can always find a workaround solution. They are just extremely hard to get in Germany, so I feel you @Phil.

A couple weeks ago. If you squint, you can make out my LED "sun" above the car. I love those little guys for some super guerilla shooting. Second pic is returning to the location with my sodium vapors and a genny for the final showdown scene. Can't wait to share the trailer with you all.12108913_10204347509122628_6408882229392

1467226_10204347510122653_83372719602849

I've got one of these, clamp it anywhere... assuming it's solid.

http://egripment.com/products/accessoires/camera-clamp-150-mm/

No not it. Can't seem to find it in the Modern catalog. Very simple clamp, wide flat strap with threaded stud and U-shaped piece slides over stud, large threaded butterfly nut. Design to span the opening of a high/low hat base and clamp it to the top of a step ladder. Gripnerd featured it on his website.

Edited by JD Hartman

I've got one of these, clamp it anywhere... assuming it's solid.

http://egripment.com/products/accessoires/camera-clamp-150-mm/

Have you encountered any issues with it falling sideways, rotating on that screw? Doesn't seem particularly safe to me, based on my experience with C-clamps, though I admit it looks pretty beefy compared to the ones I've used.

After looking at their site, the example photos on the 150mm version are what look super unsafe. The 100mm version photos have a lot better setups, with the "C" of the clamp adding a 3rd point of contact that would resist spinning. It does look like a really handy device.

The 150mm version has large pad, which would tend to resist twisting because the screw can apply a lot of pressure at the other end. You can always pack the gap between the attachment structure and the beam parallel to the screw, it has a T cross section, so will resist twist.. When tight it's pretty solid, any twisting tends to take place when setting it up.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Premium Member

Well I'm over in India on a Bollywood feature at the moment, shooting on ye olde F35, which isn't a camera I ever thought I'd be doing feature work with in 2016, but the pictures are coming up lovely, so I can't complain.

5zbafTm.jpg

sR9Q7km.jpg

nKCTPV7.jpg

R2N29Eb.jpg

• Premium Member

Ah! That must be the weird half-open, half-closed stool-type box thing they brought me.

Nothing like a regular apple box, but does the job. I just called it 'the apple box type thing' and they seemed to get what I was asking for :p

Just finished a 2 day shoot on a project I have been acting as cinematographer for over the last three years. As the project is slowly nearing conclusion it was great to come back with all the skills I have picked up since we first started and work with some really classy talent.

WBOHn0s.jpg

13D6nsw.jpg

I'm the big guy in the back with the messed up hair cut. Looking like a muppet was not my plan before working with Peter..

P.S. You can check out the project at http://100monologues.com/ I was the cinematographer for about half of them and I developed the look and feel of the project with the director. An interesting challenge considering our limited budgets and trying to find a middle ground between live theatrical performance and narrative shooting.

Edited by Shawn Sagady