Do most DOP's operate the camera?

Matthew Glover

• Premium Member

Generally no, there is a separate camera operator, particularly on multi-camera shoots, which many big movies are -- it's hard to monitor what the other cameras are getting if you are operating as a DP. On shoots that favor a single camera approach, some bigger DP's still prefer to operate: Roger Deakins, Robert Richardson, Peter Suschitsky, etc. I was just watching the behind-the-scenes video for "The Hobbit" and noticed that DP Andrew Lesnie was operating the remote head crane shots. But generally, I'd say that the majority of big-budget shows use a separate camera operator.

The more cameras there are the more benefit for me to supervise rather then operate. For a single camera shoot I will always operate. 2 Cameras I prefer not to operate but with the right B-op and Gaffer it's doable. 3 cameras + and it's a disadvantage for me to operate, as my time is better spent managing the cameras.

• 2 weeks later...

One bonus to not operating is that being able to check in with the director at the monitor can make it really awkward for a script supervisor or A.D. to backseat DP a film and make suggestions about lenses, lighting, camera placement etc. Because the DP is right there within earshot. So count that as an advantage that being near the director will cause others to be less likely to overstep their positions and wind up making "suggestions" that they really have no place making.