Some general beginner-Questions about S16 Filming

Jan Jessen

Hey Guys,

this is my first Posting here, so if it's in the wrong place, please tell me the right one :)

I got this beauty here for christmas: https://www.etsy.com/transaction/171185452?ref=fb2_tnx_title

A Keystone Criterion A-9. I have never worked with S16 Film before, so my obvious question is:

What kind of Film stock does this camera take? I know there's a difference between single and double perf but besides that? What's the best way to get film stock for this camera (if it's possible)?

Does anyone of you know this or similar cameras and give me some tips/hints whatever that could help me to get it to work?

Thank you in advance!

Congratulations on your new camera!
...but I'd be very surprised if it is super-16, it certainly wouldn't have originally been made like that, it would have been regular-16.

The filmstock needed for it will be "16mm", but without knowing the details of the camera myself, you are in the best position to tell whether it needs double-perf ('2R' and hard to find) or single-perf ('1R' and the standard type). Open the side of the camera and have a look along the film path, in particular at the sprockets that the film wraps around. If these have two sets of teeth, one set at the top and the other at the bottom, then you'll need double perf film. If the sprockets only have one set of teeth (usually at the bottom), then you might be Ok with single-perf. The next check would be to open the pressure plate and have a look at the pull-down claw: does it have only one (single-perf), or two claws (double-perf).

As for where best to perchase from, that's probably best left to someone else in Germany who knows which retailers are best. But for a start you could always try contacting Kodak Germany in Stuttgart. At one time Kodak UK would sell single rolls direct to the public, but I hear they've stopped doing that now.

Ian.

99% of the old keystone 16mm cameras are 2R only. I have a few different ones, all of which are 2R.

If you are willing to work with negative stock, you can actually contact Video Film Solutions in Maryland. They have plenty of 7273 internegative film which is actually just 2R 7203 (Vision3 50D camera film). Kodak recently discontinued a line of internegative films and rather than re-engineer another solution, they just started 2R perfing 5203/7203 to "make up" for it. Video Film Solutions has told me they could sell me some spooled down 2R 7273. I can't seem to find the cost, but I'm sure they'd let you know.

You cannot go out and buy it yourself unless you are willing to make a 1000ft purchase and then spool it down to daylight spools yourself. That wouldn't be fun. :)

I have a Keystone A7 16mm camera, it is regular 16 and it was for double-perf [2R], though it does not have a double claw so all I had to do was to carefully file the teeth on the large sprocket wheel, so that I could use the commonly available single-perf [1R] film. I have used this camera, it quite fun, produces steady images and you can use C mount lenses, I have used my 9mm Kinoptik and have had great reults.

Pav

Hey Guys,

i now got the camera and it looks like single perf to me.

But i have a bigger Problem: If i wind it up, the shutter button does nothing and i cant "unwind" it. Is there a easy way i could fix it?

And is it possible to open these cameras on both sides? I just managed to open the left side, where the film goes into.

Herer are some Pictures: http://redditgifts.com/gallery/gift/70-year-old-original-film-camera-what/

Thank you :)

It's great that it's for single perf film, you can never really tell with Keystone cameras. Unless modified [which I doubt as the front metal plate which holds the lens needs to have moved to the right] it's not Super 16 and is Standard [Regular]16, which is fine, I don't think these cameras can be converted to Super 16, for widescreen I would just crop or widen the gate for Ultra 16. I have now seen a number of these cameras and they all run after winding, but If the camera isn't running after you've wound the spring there could be a number of problems.

You could try leaving the camera in a warm environment for a while, if the camera hasn't been used for a number of years then it could simply be that that the old lubricants are just jammed. Have you got an instruction book? It might give you some ideas about lubricating the camera.

You can just unscrew the lens and take it off, while pressing the main shutter release you can move the shutter [carefully] with your finger in a clock wise direction, the shutter should move, don't force it to move.

Have a look and see if there are any visible signs if the camera has been opened [it's unlikely that it's ever been opened], the screws are side of the winding handle and under the leather. The camera should be very heavy, if it's light someone may have taken the motor out - this could account for the shutter not moving.

Pav

Edited by Pav Deep
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the great answers!

@PafDeep

Thanks for the (Super) 16 Film Clarification. I simply did not know that theres a difference between 16mm and Super 16. So 16mm it is.

I am currently trying the warm-environment trick and after that (if it doesn't move) the manual shutter moving.

I opened the Camera carefully and there were signs that it was opened before (scratches around the screws for example) but not in a long time as the outside screws were really dirty and greasy and all screws were pretty tight. I opened some of them but got to nothing so i put them back and closed the cam again (nearly everything is obscured behind a big metal plate) and its really heavy, so i think the motor should be inside.

I just tried the shutter manual moving trick and it does not work. its totally solid in place.

Edited by Jan Jessen