FOR SALE (European Union only): Cooke Varokinetal 10.4 - 52 T2.8 Super 16 w/ Aaton Mount

Philipp Marzusch

It is with deep regret that I have to sell my «Taylor-Hobson Cooke Varokinetal 10.4 - 52 T 2.8 (SUPER 16)» zoom lens with Aaton Mount. I originally bought it for the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, which I ordered back in may. But since I had not received my unit before the end of november, which was the starting date of my film project, I decided to switch to the obtainable 2.5k-camera-version (EF-mount) from Blackmagic. This SUPER 16 lens won’t cover the 2.5k version’s sensor, it would vignette at shorter focal lengths.

Now I read on the internet that it even vignettes on the Pocket version. So to all of you who consider using this lens on a BMPCC: This lens doesn't work on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. It vignettes all the way through when the aperture is closed.

Offering this lens here on cinematography.com is a hefty step for me because it’s a real jewel and a great example of british craftsmanship.

Anyway: this legendary zoom lens features the following . . .

Characteristics:

• the glory of being a unit of the first Super 16-lens ever. Taylor-Hobson introduced it in 1983. I should fit to the ingenious S16-aspect ratio invented by the swedish DP Rune Ericson. That means: It’s no retrofit, no conversion. It left its factory as a Super 16 lens from top to toe!
  • the famous „Cooke look“ which has the reputation of being very cinematic: creamy and - at the same time - very sharp. Among professionals, it is admired for its fantastic reproduction of skin tones.
  • multicoatings on both the front and rear optical elements
  • a lens barrel which doesn’t lengthen when turning the zoom ring. The optical elements move internally - a characteristic of cinema-grade quality. Advantages: 1. There’s is no (or at least no noticeable) «breathing effect» which is a disagreeable side effect of modern DSLR-filmmaking-times. 2. Very resistant to age: because when focusing, the lens barrel doesn’t «aspirate» any dust as it is usually the case of DSLR-lenses that vary their length.
  • a close focus of 1.6 ft / 0.49 m engraved on the lens barrel. But in wider focal lengths, you get things sharp that are even closer.
  • a focus gear for the use of a follow focus
  • Aaton Mount

What’s included:

Used:

• 1x «Taylor-Hobson Cooke Varokinetal 10.4 - 52 T 2.8 (SUPER 16)» with Aaton Mount
  • 1x original aluminium case, very solid, with an additional wooden layer, individually fitted foam material and a cubbyhole for the silica gel inside
  • 1x original zoom crank
  • 1x sunshade from Tiffen which allows the use of filters. The lens itself has no filter thread.
  • 1x original front protection cap
  • 1x original rear protection cap

Condition:

Optics:

As I mentioned above, I wasn’t able to test the lens since the Blackmagic camera which I finally bought only works with Canon EF lenses. The only thing I could do was checking it under light:

• the optical elements are very clean
  • thanks to its clever non-aspirating-construction, there’s only little dust inside, which can only be seen when looking from one end to the other straight into direct light (but for a vintage lens, it looks fantastic)
  • no fungus thanks to the silica-gel sachets lying in the aluminum case in which it has always been kept
  • no haze
  • no separation
But . . . NOTE:
  • There is a very tiny scratch in the centre of the front optical element consisting of two parallel lines, thinner than hairs, each of them around 1 mm long. The distance between these two parallel lines does not exceed 0.5 mm. I doubt it will be visible on the frame, although I can’t guarantee its invisibility (see below on the pictures 8 and 9).
  • There are some minor cleaning marks on both the front and the rear optical elements. They are as thin as the silk of a spider and quite hard to see - when looking transversely on the glass under a certain light incidence. After all that I read in the internet, it should not affect the image quality at all, although I can’t vouch for this neither (see below on the pictures 8 and 10).

Lens Barrel Cosmetics/Mechanics:

• the outer body looks great in consideration of its 20+ years of age: it is very clean, the original black lacquer is still nice. All in all just some signs of use.
  • the focus ring, the zoom ring and the aperture ring work very smoothly. They run like butter, without any resistance nor play
  • the aperture blades work perfectly, no oil
  • the mount is made of high quality machined steel and perfectly collimated for Aaton mounts

By the way:

Price:

1750.- € + shipping costs

SHIPPING (WITH INSURANCE):

• Germany: €6.90 (parcel) + €3.50 (insurance) = €10.40
  • European Union: €19.90 (parcel) + €20.78 (insurance) = €40.68

To the members from beyond the European borders: I regret that I can't ship the lens to your place. It's because I couldn't find a parcel service who ships insured parcels to other continents. Furthermore I'm not familiar with import sales taxes, clearance charges etc. I'm sorry!

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

• I'm offering you a right of return (10 days, starting from the day of the receipt of the lens) if you're not satisfied.
  • As this is a used item, a warranty can not be offered.

Pictures: Please click on them to enlarge (I'm sorry for the advertising on directupload.net)

1. kpikiudd.jpg 2. wodjts55.jpg 3. v9jij27c.jpg 4. ndlzc5tw.jpg 5. dz5c67lv.jpg 6. jzdcum56.jpg 7. 73mu3cpc.jpg 8. y4j8fosi.jpg 9. pt8hr57f.jpg 10. ju26kqg3.jpg

Edited by Philipp Marzusch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...