Picking the right colour gold - gels

Hey All,

I'm shooting a short at the end of the month. The whole shoot takes place inside a crypt. It is a created world, quite stylised.

The light coming from outside will have no specific angle like the sun, but be a continuous gold atmos light. Due to budget I cannot buy multiple sheets of gold to test so I would love some advice form people who have more knowledge. I'm looking for a gel that will add gold and warmth to tungsten lights. A deep gold that still allows good transmission (we do not have big lights) and that does not push skin-tones too much

The lighting inside the crypt 'office space' will be regular tungsten with possibly 1/8 of CTB to create more contrast.

Thank you in advance.

Anais Lorie

Cinematographer

CTS (Colour Temperature Straw) might be another option if the CTO isn't working for you but usually CTO is more easily available.

I'm not sure quite what you are meaning by gold however. Perhaps a gold reflector could help you out too especially if you are doing something more stylised.

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

Everybody has a different definition of what a "golden" light should be! CTO and CTS are the most readily available gels so I'd say it's the easiest way to go on a budget. Bouncing on gold reflectors seems like a very good option to me as well.

You can also play on white balance and dimming the lights.

If you go to your local rental house or expendables store you can get a gel swatch book for free.

If you go to your local rental house or expendables store you can get a gel swatch book for free.

Worth a try! However here in the UK, Gel Swatch books became a paid for item some time ago.

You never know tho, some places might have freebies! :)

Freya

Edited by Freya Black