Canon XL vs XH vs GL

Mike Meaney

So I am a film enthusiast I suppose, and I want to step up my photography hobby into cinematography. I use a Canon 40D for stills and want to get a video camera. I definitely want full manual control because that's what made me fall in love with photography, so that pretty quickly narrows my choices down to pro cameras. I would consider a newer DSLR but I don't think it would offer enough control. I've done research and my impression is on Canon's discontinued line of affordable pro videocams which are made that much more affordable when bought second-hand. From what I understand, the main differences between the Canon Xl H1, H1a, H1s, XH A1, and A1s are just shape, layout, and the SDI output. I also understand that the older Canon GL1 and 2 are pretty similar to the Xl H1 but they're standard definition. So a few questions: Will I want the uncompressed SDI out? Would I really mind SD over HD? If it comes down to shape and layout, is the Xl line worth the extra cash for the shoulder mount, and what I think is a 'cooler' design?