Ryerson Univsersity, thoughts? (Toronto)

I was accepted here in the late 80s, went to a US school instead. I have toured their facilities twice and I have a number of friends who went there. My friends all seemed pretty happy with Ryerson. Remember it is a university so you won't just be doing "film", they expect you to get a general education as well. On my first visit there was an article in their school paper about how film students have a tendency to flunk out because they are not interested in doing other "stuff."

The main question you have to ask is, what will you do once you graduate? There no "jobs" for newly minted directors or cinematographers from Ryerson in Toronto or anywhere in Canada. You won't be hired to direct movies or episodic TV once you leave Ryerson, that is a 10 year quest once you finish. And everyone in your year will want to be a "director."

So that's what you need to give real thought to, especially if you will have student loans to pay off. You won't have a steady income from film to make monthly payments on student loans, car loan, rent, anything. All of the Ryerson film school grads I know are in their early thirties and doubled up as roommates, only one owns a car. Get the picture?

R,

Hmm, my other choice would be York, or Humber College. I imagine the Ryerson program has improved over the years, I can't afford the costs of a prestigious school in the states. I realize the business is a very competitive one, but school will be an important stepping stone no matter what. I don't expect to get work straight out of school, although don't students often receive work placements 3rd/4th year? I would be up for anything after film school, documentary, music videos, freelance work, weddings, anything I can get my hands on and anything that could give me valuable experience in the industry.

York will produce the same results in four years, no job. Makes no difference. Why waste four years and tens of thousands of dollars to shoot wedding videos? You can go and do that tomorrow.

Going to university for a film degree offers you the chance to get a job in another industry if things don't work out in film. I was shocked one day to learn that a neighbour two doors down to me had gone to Ryerson for film school. He tried to get a start for six months out of school but nothing happened so he went to work at a family members quarry business, which is were he is today in his late 40s. He needed a steady income and could not find it in film.

Remember you're competing in a job pool where thousands of people offer their labour up for free.

From a market perspective the industry in Toronto needs more grips, gaffers, ACs, etc to service the US shows that come in. You won't learn these skills to a necessary degree at Ryerson. More "directors" simply aren't needed, there is a massive over supply.

R,