Blackmagic 4k: Center-crop mode? 2K?

Philip Kral

I've been thinking of upgrading my digital cinema camera for awhile and I've been taking a hard look into the blackmagic cameras. It's hard to find some of the specs i'm looking for and I was wondering if anyone here knew if the 4k Blackmagic will

1) Have a Center-crop mode. (I'd like to still be able to use my super16 lenses)

and

2) Is there a 2k or 1080 mode? (SInce If I did go for the 4K model, I wouldn't need the overwhelming pixel power ALL the time).

I was just curious, the other digital cinema cameras have these option- it would be nice to know if this camera did too in contemplating purchasing one in the future.

Thanks

It's right on the specs page, lists the available resolutions as 4k, 1080. no mention of a center crop

on one hand, windowing is somewhat common and perhaps now an expectation from new cameras

on the other hand, this is only bm's third camera, and looks like they're keeping it quite close to the original bmc, so i'd say it's a tossup if they put in a windowed option

• Premium Member

I wish more high resolution cameras would offer intelligently-designed windowing, especially given that some of them do it by default when you request different frame sizes. The option to window down to a 2/3" sensor equivalent (which the Panasonic GH series will, if only by default) is valuable for documentary people keen to use broadcast glass.