Douglas Slocombe BSC Document

Guest Stephen Murphy

Guest Stephen Murphy

Thanks Kieran - they do seem to be quite popular. I'm assuming publishing isn't possible because of the copyright issues with both the images and the words. Regardless it's just nice to see so many people getting some use from them. I got a lovely email from Paul Cameron when he saw his document and Since they were linked on theblackandtheblue last week they've been downloaded an awful lot too which is nice.

Guest Stephen Murphy

I'm treating this more like a "special edition" of the documents in so far as it doesn't cover Slocombes body of work, just these 3 movies. There's just not enough good quality reference material available of his earlier work yet, but I'd like to revisit it some day.

I'm assuming publishing isn't possible because of the copyright issues with both the images and the words.

Since even DPs themselves seem to approve of them, I'm sure no-one will take issue, but of course you've already published by putting it on here.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Guest Stephen Murphy

Of course - they were never intended for publication in a traditional sense. I'm just glad they're useful to people other then me.

Great document, as always. I love Slocombe's way of lighting, old school and moody, with lots of backlight (the way I like it). I think he's one of the few DPs (Dean Cundey is another example) who use hard light in a "realistic sense" (which is usually associated with soft light) but still keep it stylish and moody. In an age of Kino-Flos and large silks I love looking at Slocombe, with his 10Ks and strong backlight. His work is truly timeless, harkening back to the studio and black and white lighting, while still being modern. Just like the films themselves.