Mix lighting condition?

Hey,

I have to shoot an outdoor scene using Kodak Vision 250D. Due to the micro budget, we only have tungsten lights.

The question: I know that full blue will probably correct the tungsten lights to 5500K. But I also know that daylight does not means neccessary 5500K...that is in a clear blue sky the color temperature is actually about 10000K(correct me if I am wrong) So even though I use daylight stock, will the result be slightly blueish? And if that is the case, I might have to accurately correct my tungsten lighting according to the time and weather of the day. Or I might have to shoot the scene like when the sun is about 30-50 degree, which will give me roughly 5500K and that will probably allow me to just use just a full blue on the tungsten light and not worry too much.

Anybody can give pieces of advises on this?

PS. I do not have a color meter just yet. It is actually on its way..(Darn I ordered the color meter a little too late. It will only come to me next Monday and my shoot is on this weekend...hahha serve me right!!

Thanks for everybody.

Regards,

Daniel :huh:

• Premium Member

I like Mitch's common-sense approach. Works for me most of the time!

I'll tout again my poor man's answer to a color meter -- my inexpensive digital still camera. It tends to exaggerate differences in color temp, so anything that's off will become immediately apparent on the little LCD. You can do the same with a video camera, although the color sensitivity won't be exactly the same as film. 250D is actually fairly forgiving of differences in color temperature.

But what kind of tungsten lights are you using outdoors? You're going to need some MAJOR firepower to compete with sunlight or even open shade light levels. Remember that full CTB sucks up 1-1/3 stop, and diffusion will kill even more. It's hard to light anything but closeups with tungsten lights outdoors.

• 2 weeks later...

Forget about tungston with blue, it'll have the effect of a flea on an elephant. For about a hundred bucks rent a couple of 4x reflectors with combo stands and sandbags. the " shiny-boards" with a soft side and spot side. The soft(not really soft) will give you a wide spread of light that will give you plenty of fill from a comfortable distance. Add 4x frames, add light spun, light grid cloth or whatever and soften for close-ups. Get 2 sheets of 4x8 foam core, stand it strait-up., about 4' to 6' feet away for a double or single shot and get plenty of fill. Any reflectors will give back any color it gets. Don't worry about the differance in color temp of skylight and sun to skylight only. The only concern if you have HMI's and then you you may want to add 1/4 or 1/2 blue (CTB) for skylight only.