Pathe Baby 9.5mm projector lens

Milica Jovcic

Hello! I'll be much appreciated if you know what lens use Pathé Baby 9.5mm projector.
I have some family material filmed on 9.5mm and I'm trying to watch it and choose parts for telecine. Projector motor and lamp are in function, film is loading but there is no lens.

Is anyhow possible to use lenses from super 8/16mm projectors or cameras?

Thank you very much.

post-62440-0-82605300-1391439364_thumb.jpg

post-62440-0-17413200-1391439373_thumb.jpg

Edited by Milica Jovcic

If you can adapt a lens made for a 16mm. projector it will cover 9.5. I don't know if an 8mm. lens will as 9.5 is rather larger.

There seems to be a lens in the lower photograph, is that not your projector? A focal length of around 25mm, should do.

Edited by Mark Dunn

I have a projector lens that comes from a 9,5mm Ditmar projector, that i have modified for telecine and so i do not need anymore. The outside diameter is 32,75mm and the lenses are near to perfect, despite its age ( al least 60 years old). it is marked f 1:1,8- Heleston 3,5 cm Laack Raihenow S:N 429254. If you are interested make an offer

• Premium Member

That is a very old projector.. if your family films are valuable (but there is too much footage to have it all properly and safely scanned) I would suggest viewing them on an editor/viewer rather than using a projector. Especially with 9.5mm where the perfs are in the centre of the film, a projector can easily damage old footage. Even if the projector is OK if the film is brittle or shrunken or has damaged perfs etc it will not run through properly. On a viewer the film is manually advanced with far less chance of catastrophic damage.

Ebay France often has 9.5mm viewers, like this one:

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/PIECE-DE-COLLECTION-ENROULEUSE-VISIONNEUSE-Ferquin-TYPE-F2-FORMAT-9-5mm-/331119729597?pt=FR_JG_Photo_Camescopes_Cameras&hash=item4d18461bbd

If you still want to find a lens for your projector, Graham Newnham in England knows a lot about 9.5mm equipment and may have a lens for sale that fits, or know what to look for at least:

http://www.pathefilm.freeserve.co.uk/lists/filmlista.htm

Thank you so much!

Editor/viewer is a very good idea and I will try to get this one from ebay.

I wrote to Graham and actually projector does have a lens. Here's his instruction, maybe somebody else might find it useful:

The lens on this machine is set into the body
if you remove the side cover you will see the lens set in a tube
there is either a slider or knurled knob on the side of the machine for focussing.

Give it a try - the picture is not bright!

• 10 months later...

Hello

I have the very same projector and I have just completed a 9.5mm film to video transfer project using my Canon 5DmkII to photograph each frame of the short film, 463 frames to be precise. These were then joined together in the edit and streched to the correct speed.

I also added sound effects to make the film come to life.

The link below is to my blog on this project it has a few pictures and an indepth account of the project and of course the finished video. Please note that I could have easily filled a widescreen shot but prefered to see as much of the priceless footage as possible (even the sprocket holes!)

http://www.cameramanfreelance.co.uk/9-5mm-film-transfer-to-video/

I can vouch for the fact that there is a built in lens in this projector because I temporarily removed it and replaced it with a 12volt 4watt bulb to illuminate the frame. The capture camera was placed where the original lamp and housing should be.

If you need any further information I would be pleased to help.

But maybe you have sorted it out by now.

Cheers

Tim