sony F3 as Alexa B Camera

Colm Whelan

The F3 will only output in 23.98 and I am trying to match it to an Alexa shooting 24p. I am recording to a sound devices pix 240. does anyone know if there is a way to record 24p from the F3 in this set up or does the Alexa have to alter its rate to 23.98?

thanks

• Premium Member

If you're very sure, you could simply shoot the F3 and Alexa at the slightly different rates, but you'd need to be very sure about lighting flicker and so on. It would really depend how long they had to stay in sync for - minutes on end, no good, but if it's quick cuts you might be fine.

P

thanks for the answers guys. its a B camera on a feature and they want the Alexa in 24p for print. it does not have to hold sync for very long. its cut aways mostly for action sequences. it is now being suggested that the F3 shoot in 25p and take a 24p signal from that so at least they are not duplicating frames in post.

right now the 23.98 footage is showing a lot of frame blur on the 24p timeline so I guess there is an avid post thing that will have to be done with whats already shot