$2995 4K Blackmagic Production Camera Shipping Now

Tim Tyler

Blackmagic Design today announced the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K is now shipping and with a new low price of US$2,995. This new low price will be available for all customers, including existing pre-orders. Blackmagic Production Camera 4K is available now from Blackmagic Design resellers worldwide for only US$2,995.

“The support from the creative community for the Blackmagic Cinema Camera and Production Camera 4K has been amazing,” said Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design. “As with all of our products, we work hard in production to reduce costs so we can pass along the savings, even to our first Blackmagic Production Camera 4K customers. The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K is a perfect companion for ATEM Production 4K switchers and we hope the new low price will help more customers to expand their Ultra HD live production set ups with even more camera angles!”

• Ultra HD 3840 x 2160 resolution
  • ProRes 422 (HQ)™ recording
  • Super 35 sensor
  • Global shutter
  • EF and ZE compatible lens mount
  • Built-in SSD recorder
  • 5” LCD touchscreen
  • Metadata entry
  • 6G-SDI output for 10-bit HD and Ultra HD

sensor.jpg

• Premium Member

I just hate the layout. The DSLR-esque arrangement may be fashionable, but it doens't actually work very well. I'm also interested in what the situation is with LUTs and output, because the orginal cinema camera wasn't particularly well-equipped in that regard.

Eh, maybe it's okay for certain things. I wonder if they'll do a more conventionally-arranged model.

P

• Premium Member

Hi Phil: We finally got ~3K for $3K. Quit yer bellyaching! ;-)

(If I'm lucky, hopefully my BMPC-4K will be delivered in the next few days/weeks.)

P.S.: Blackmagic cams don't feature user-installable LUTs if that's what you're asking. Cheers!

• Premium Member

My concern over LUTs was more about monitoring. I seem to recall that on the original cinema camera, you couldn't LUT the SDI. So, in film mode, even with 709 monitoring on the back of the camera, you get log out of SDI.

Which I suppose will sell them a few HDlinks.

P

• Premium Member

I haven't heard that BMPC-4K 6G-SDI output works differently than BMCC HD-SDI output concerning log/709. Log recording results in log monitoring output.

And yes, an HD Link can be a solution for that.

Whether BMD changes that camera "feature" via a future firmware update remains to be seen. BMD has definitely been made aware of users wishes in that regard.

• Premium Member

The BMPC-4K can output 1080p while recording 4K UHD internally.

Meanwhile ...

BMD might come out with a new 4K 6G-SDI version of the HD Link, which seems likely.

My other Blackmagic-related NAB 2014 guesses are here.

I contacted Blackmagic Design today with concerns that CinemaDNG RAW might not be available in the cameras that are shipping now.

They confirmed that CinemaDNG RAW is not functional in the current batch of cameras, but that CinemaDNG RAW functionality will be available in a firmware update without additional charge.

The camera also includes a DaVince Resolve license.

• Premium Member

James Tonkin has posted a short film shot using the BMPC-4K recording 4K ProRes HQ:

You can download a less-compressed 759MB version of his edit by clicking the "Download" button on his Vimeo page.

It's a great demonstration of the cam's global shutter, resulting in a lack of rolling shutter jello & skew.

Meanwhile ...

At least one dealer in France has the BMPC-4K in stock. I've seen a report that a dealer in the UK received >1 cam, and some US dealers are expecting small quantities within days. As is usually the case, especially with new BMD cameras, initial shipments are expected to be relatively small. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I've got one coming on review tomorrow. Anything in particular anyone wants me to look at?

I'd love to see a properly-lit & mic'd interview scenario, because that'll be one of my uses for the camera once mine arrives. Other than the outdoor BMPC-4K & EPIC test video, I haven't seen many examples of well-lit people yet.

Specifically concerning the cam's global shutter feature, the only classic example I haven't seen yet is rotating fan or propeller blades. So for completeness, it would be cool to see normal-looking rotation, too.

-
I'm maintaining a list of "BMPC-4K shooting tips from early users" on BMD's forum.
Comments, questions and additional BMPC-4K shooting tips are welcome here or there.

• Premium Member

Well, it got here. Blink and you'd assume it was its little brother. No audio metering, no phantom power, no disk space indication. I am not immediately endeared, but then again it is extremely cheap, and mainly: no rolling shutter.

Anything new to report, other than the good things we already know?

• Premium Member

James Tonkin has posted a short film shot using the BMPC-4K recording 4K ProRes HQ:

You can download a less-compressed 759MB version of his edit by clicking the "Download" button on his Vimeo page.

It's a great demonstration of the cam's global shutter, resulting in a lack of rolling shutter jello & skew.

I hope that was compressed to the Nth degree because that didn't even look anywhere near 2K, nevermind 4K...