Gripping: Where on earth do I start?

Eddie Cole

I know a number of people who've gone to London, a good method is initially to get experience in the regions and slowly break in. If not there get into one of the industry training schemes (this isn't film school) and coming from a region can work to your advantage in getting a place. Getting established in London can easily take 5 years, so not for those people into quick fixes and it's not easy. You do need to do a lot of spade work.

I don't think this thread is confusing at all. In fact it seems to have set you off on totally the right path if your goal is to be a "top class grip" You already contacted the grip branch which is a great first start. You have your trust fund, so you can go and live somewhere and work on getting work where the work is. The thread has pointed out the NVQ which has apparently become quite important in the grip world. Now you just need to find an "in" on some actual work.

You talk of going to LA tho. Is that a possibility for you? If so perhaps you should look into going straight to LA and working there rather than messing around on the UK scene. It's better to start out where you want to be than to waste time trying to get there by a convoluted route, if you can. Why waste time!

Freya

Currently no its not possible, Im talking like 15 or 20 years down the line, Once I get bored of the lovely rain :P

A lot of London based people get work on productions shot in Wales. There has been a move to get former London based productions into the regions, an example of this is the Media City in Manchester.

At least from what I've heard from BBC commisioning people, the focus is now on the Nations. There is no interest in supporting the regions. Manchester is considered the English centre for the Nations. (London doesn't count as it's all about production outside of London). One BBC guy seemed especially angry and suggested there were already far too many quotas.

Of course there are still the traditional rules about regional production so companies based in other English regions can still fulfill the requirements for the quotas.

It should of course be noted it was Greg Dyke who was the driving force to move production out to Manchester. :)

Freya