We say Conrad Hall & Greg Tolland were the best...

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

And finally....

"The only way I will ever win is to show people that what I am saying actually means something, it's not just some crazy thought stuck together with prit-stick by some youngster."

Actually the way you will win is not by talk, it will be by action.

When you post a link to a film you shot that is as good as you claim it will be, then every one will have no choice but to eat humble pie and say, "By jove that kid is a genius! He was right all along!"

Richard

More or less what I meant. I can't by talking, it's going to have to be through my films.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Have you seen "Snow Falling on Cedars", Daniel? I think you'd like it. I happen to think "The Bourne Supremacy" has amazing cinematography. Both films with qualities that aren't found in music videos.

Let's assume that cinematography is a craft - maybe like playing the guitar.

So Daniel - you've decided that you are going to forge out on your own and do things differently.

You're going to re-arrange the order of the guitar strings, and play it perched on your head.

Do you really think it's going to sound any better? Do you think you'll become a virtuoso?

I hope you print out this thread, save it, and re-read it in 10 years. You'll realize what a arrogant little s*** you sound like.

Ken Zukin

• Premium Member

Uh people, Daniel's only 17. I think we were all arrogant little sh**s when we were 17. I remember. It wasn't THAT long ago for me. Who really cares how an inexperienced 17 year old makes videos? No one here should be threatened. I've learned some lessons the hard way and I suspect Daniel will too. Some people are mature and smart enough to listen to those who are more experienced than they are and learn from them. Some people are not. Why it look a hundred and some odd posts to bicker back and forth is beyond me. Move on.

Uh people, Daniel's only 17. I think we were all arrogant little sh**s when we were 17. I remember. It wasn't THAT long ago for me. Who really cares how an inexperienced 17 year old makes videos? No one here should be threatened. I've learned some lessons the hard way and I suspect Daniel will too. Some people are mature and smart enough to listen to those who are more experienced than they are and learn from them. Some people are not. Why it look a hundred and some odd posts to bicker back and forth is beyond me. Move on.

Yeah I agree with you...youth is often insolent and arrogant...

Heck sometimes I'm still that way (but folks do say I act like a 16 year old)

What I sometimes find funny is full grown adults

Just going head to head with the insults with a teenager...

It's like a goddamn cartoon--oh which way did he go...which way did he go... :)

I think the problem is the internet...

It's brought experienced professionals

Into contact with nonexperience amateurs and even {gasp} teenagers...

And whilst year ago this conversation would've been held

After a days wrap in a pub downing a few pints...by responsible adults :rolleyes:

Now it's held in a public forum where all can join in.

There you go--technology bringing people closer. :)

• Premium Member
What I sometimes find funny is full grown adults

Just going head to head with the insults with a teenager...

He keeps asking to be treated like an adult, but if he wants everyone to cut him a lot of slack because he's a teenager, fine. But then he shouldn't expect his opinions to be taken as seriously as any adults. You can't have it both ways.

TSM,

"There will always be Frank G's and Richard B's in this world"

I've really just about had it with you and your continuous insults.

I really hope we never cross paths in this business, you are un-wise to continuously insult those that are actually working in the industry. It's a very very small business and this may come back and bite you in the ass one day. I've seen it happen so don't think it can't or won't happen to you.

Especially since your name will be passed around by me, and most likely by Frank as well.

So just keep it up, you may be doing so at your own professional peril.

Richard

Dan, friend,

Here's a real world situation. This could actually happen to you. Someone sees your reel, or a sample of your work, likes it, hires you. He talks about the project, and you get a copy of the script.

Here's your first meeting:

Director: Hi Dan. Let me explain what I was thinking of visually for this film. I have some photos here as references, and a few movies I'd like you to watch--

Dan: Screw that (sorry, "Bollocks") Director! I have the whole movie planned out in my head. I know exactly what shots we're going to use, and the types of colors in our pallette, and the lighting style we're going for. It'll be awesome.

Director: But, Dan. . .I'm the director. You're here to help me realize my vision.

Dan: Again, bollocks! I have the entire movie storyboarded out right here. We'll go by these storyboards. Hey what's that smell? Oh, it's the smell of your notes and photos burning. Won't need 'em now that I've got the whole movie planned out for you.

Director: Dan, I'm gonna have to fire you now.

Dan: Damn! You adults just hate young people!

Edited by Josh Bass

He keeps asking to be treated like an adult, but if he wants everyone to cut him a lot of slack because he's a teenager, fine. But then he shouldn't expect his opinions to be taken as seriously as any adults. You can't have it both ways.

I don't know where those requests came from, but I don't want any slack because I'm a teenager. I am however a fairly new film maker.

So just keep it up, you may be doing so at your own professional peril.

Well, for one thing if I ever get the chance to start making large scale movies, Jonathon has an opportunity to come and work on my set. (That's if he isn't already making huge films)

Here's a real world situation. This could actually happen to you. Someone sees your reel, or a sample of your work, likes it, hires you. He talks about the project, and you get a copy of the script.

Josh, I'm talking about my own films. If a director wants a certain vision then I'll give it to him, it's not a problem. That summer project I'm on about is my own film, I'm directing, DP'ing, acting and producing it, so that way I show off my skills in the film in many ways, and being my film, I'll make it how I da-n well please.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

"P.S. - You creepy bastard. Don't you dare talk about me behind my back.

There's no reason for me to have to pay for your big freaking mouth and condescending attitude."

You're the one with the big mouth that is one day going to get you into hot water, trust me your time will come.

I'll talk about you to any industry people I like and there will be nothing you can do about it. Perhaps I'll start with a mass e-mail, that's a quick way to get the word out.

But hey, since you're a self proclaimed pot head why do you care? You'll be too stoned to ever get out of bed to be of any use to the world, let alone any use on a film set.

You're nothing now, and I believe you'll remain so.

Richard

This is just getting bizarre...

Yeh I think it's about time to start wraping this thing up. Although, I checked the biggest threads ever and I think this thread has got to be the biggest yet. B)

I won't stop putting you on display until you apologize to Daniel and stop acting like someone gives a damn about who you are or what you have to say.

I honestly wouldn't worry Jonathon, like you said, there will always be people like that, unfortunatelly they are part of the career we chose. But theres no way I'm going to let someone on an internet board that I don't even know ruin my dreams. Tnx fort the backup anyway, but honestly, don't worry about it.

You're the one with the big mouth that is one day going to get you into hot water, trust me your time will come.

I'll talk about you to any industry people I like and there will be nothing you can do about it. Perhaps I'll start with a mass e-mail, that's a quick way to get the word out.

But hey, since you're a self proclaimed pot head why do you care? You'll be too stoned to ever get out of bed to be of any use to the world, let alone any use on a film set.

You're nothing now, and I believe you'll remain so.

I really don't want to get into another full blown war with you Richard, but I honestly don't see what your deal with Jonathon is anyway. He's still young so he's still got a chance at making huge productions, sorry to say, which is probably more than you have got. Plus he doesn't take s**t off anyone, which is the best thing for the industry. And bare in mind he still has atleast 2 chances of making it big, because if I ever do, thats his ticket.

I think my biggest problem is actually my influence from films. Most likely because I'm still young. For instance I watched the film "S.W.A.T" the other day, and now I'm having all these thoughts about joining the military or armed police force, however I know that real life situations are nothing like the films, so I'll just make the films and put the imagination into them, which is just as good. Because atleast then I can create the world I dream of, even if it isn't real.

I get some pretty weird influences from films... :blink: Hell I even wanted to become a hitman after watching Leon!

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

"He's still young so he's still got a chance at making huge productions, sorry to say, which is probably more than you have got."

Oh geez that is the funniest thing I've ever read on this board, BELLY LAUGH!!!

Thanks Daniel you made my day!! Double :D :D

Richard

"Resorting to death threats, eh?"

What the hell are you talking about? Don't be so damned stupid!!

Richard

Dan,

If we're talking music videos, there's a DVD I think you need to see.

It's nothing pretty -- just a live show. These guys will show you how far you can go if you believe in yourself...

"Steve Vai - Live at the Astoria"

Edited by TSM

this thread is a masterpeice! i just spent an hour reading through it, and what i took out of it was amazing. More that a lot of films.

the twists and turns, invaluble education, excitment, frustrations, mystery (the weird sub-plot of threats), suspence.

i just hope the ending pays off.

thanks!