Sign in to follow this  
cameraparis

Best S8 camera in my list

I have various S8

Canon AF310 : 8.5 wide angle is too short

Beaulieu 6008 Pro : Heavy for travel. Chromatic abberation in tele position

Canon 1014 xl-s : too heavy and I have not very sharp images in low light

Sankyo Em60XL : chromatic abberation in "tele" position but compact, 24fps !, good in low light. Tremor when I Took over this camera

Sankyo ES 44XL : 18fps only ! but sharp

Nizo 481 : viewfinder dark in low light, I have special cell but I dislike this system. The silver aspect is good for this camera.

Canon 514 xls : I don't know

I'm traveling tomorrow in Thailand and I don't know which to take,

I'm looking for the most sharp, light weight.

I will move a lot.

I have Vision 3 50D and 200T, 500T

Thank you for your quick help ;)

but it's heavy 2kg (4.4 lbs) all day on the back, no?

I wouldn't think so. But you know what you can carry better than we do.

I am Canon 1014 XL-S A camera and 514 XL B all the way... with ya Jose!

The Beaulieu 6008 Pro is probably the "best" overall camera in the bunch, but it would definitely be the hardest to work with and part of what makes it "best" is the ability to change/choose lenses... which doesn't exactly make it easy to use or portable.

As you say the XL shutter speed is rather slow at 18fps. You have to be very careful with the action.

In the days when Ektachrome 160 was the fastest Super-8 stock it was useful but nowadays I'd use fast film and a non-XL shutter.

• Upvote 1

The 1014 quality definitely worths it's weight. Just buy a modern wider strap than the original which comes with the camera and your back will be fine.

If you want to avoid blurry images just close the variable shutter to 150º instead of 220º.

• Upvote 1

The only negative I find with the 1014 is it's lens is very soft at wide open. But, keep it between f5 and f8 and it's about as sharp as super 8 gets. You'd probably only find better in a Beaulieu with a c mount lens.

I have to say, the canon 1014 XL-S dosent give soft image in wide aperture. I have 3 canon and 2 give me soft image about 1,4-4. But third canon 1014 xl-s gets a very good service and extreamly well adjusted by very good service man! I have got shock when i see the different on screen…. The canon 1014 xl-s and 814 xl-s need very accurate adjust by collimator!!! Unfortunatly it is little bit difficult to do on this cameras.

• Upvote 1

I have to say, the canon 1014 XL-S dosent give soft image in wide aperture. I have 3 canon and 2 give me soft image about 1,4-4. But third canon 1014 xl-s gets a very good service and extreamly well adjusted by very good service man! I have got shock when i see the different on screen…. The canon 1014 xl-s and 814 xl-s need very accurate adjust by collimator!!! Unfortunatly it is little bit difficult to do on this cameras.

I totally agree with you Viktor: I took some of the sharpest footage at F1.4 on my Canon 1014 XL-S, at about 25 mm focal length. Probably this camera is the best option in terms of portability, sharpeness and sturdiness. Not as wide angle as the Beaulieu's Optivaron but still very acceptable at 6.6 mm. Go for it!

My Canon 814XLS is my A cam for the optics, and the Nizo 481 is B-cam for effects.

Have you ever shot with the 514XLS? Wondered how it compared to the 814 & 1014, aside from obviously being a notch below them.