Problem with Super 8 cameras and film types (newbie question)

Harry Alen

Hi! I have 3 Super 8 cameras, Canon 310xl, Canon Auto Zoom 814 and Canon 512xl and all in working condition. I also have a Chinon 330 Sound projector, which is also working flawlessly.

I recently decided to start using the cameras and I bought negative Kodak Vision 200T not knowing anything about the formats. The 3 min cassette was shot with 1 minute in each cameras and I noticed from the digital scans some differences with brightness - this is where I think the "nothches" and how the camera reads the cartridge is related. And of course, I found out that negative is not watchable with projector the hard way :)

So color reversal film is what I need and have to shoot. How does my cameras recognize following film types:

Ektachrome 100D (I think some of my cameras read this correctly as 100D)

Wittner 200D (not any of my cameras support 200D?)

And when do I have to use the tungsten/daylight switch that is in all of cameras.

Sorry for the noob-questions, but I really want to use the same cameras my grandfather did and want to keep shooting Super 8 for years to come, as I have so many good and working cameras. And also share the same feeling with my children I had as a child when we watched the old super 8 reels of my father when he was a young man :D

Thank you for all of your answers!!!

Edited by Harry Alen

This is an important matter when shooting Super8 and is just a photography question. It is quite simple in Super8 but the fact that almost each camera is quite different from the others makes this more confusing...

I suggest you to start by understanding the users manual of the 814, which is a model that can handle correctly with any film type. The others are more limited. Remember that the "non-Electronic" 814 needs a 1.35V button type cell for the lightmeter, which is another issue itself.

http://www.super8data.com/database/cameras_list/cameras_canon/canon_310xl.htm

http://www.super8data.com/database/cameras_list/cameras_canon/canon_814_autozoom.htm

http://www.super8data.com/database/cameras_list/cameras_canon/canon_512xl_autozoom_e.htm

If you review these documents you will see that all of these should correctly expose E100D as long as their meters have batteries and are functioning correctly.

AGFA 200D is a horrible film stock, in my opinion. It's colors are flat and under-saturated and it's grain is huge and not at all pleasing. I don't think you will be happy with what you get, especially if you are used to shooting E100D or other Kodak films from the last 20 years. But, if you do shoot it in this camera, most people selling it notch it as 250 because there is no 200 daylight notch. But, all three of those cameras max out at 160, so it will be exposed as 160 and thus 1/3 over which is not a good thing. You do not want to over expose reversal as it blows out your highlights quickly. This will again make your AGFA 200D experience a less than desirable one.

Vision3 200T will expose as 160 in all 3 of these cameras. That's actually not a bad thing. This is a 1/3 stop over exposed, which is what you want to do with Super 8 negative. You're more likely to get a desirable results this way. All three of these cameras should have exposed this film at an equal (slightly over exposed) level. If they did not, most likely something was off about one or more of these cameras.

Dave

Ok. Thank You! 100D reversal stock it is then... And about the 1.3V battery in Canon 814 light meter. I have undestrood that 1.5V V625 alkaline battery is ok. Is there any problem for the light meter about the extra voltage amount? How should I use the light meter with that camera?

Answering myself - 1.5V not good, will need Weincell 1.35 zinc air battery or M9 adapter that reduces the voltage to 1.35 - that would be the best and in the long run cheapest solution!

I downloaded manuals and as long as there is Ektachrome 100D available, no probs. However, has anyone tested that Wittner 200D will actually read as 160D and that can the overexposure corrected with ND-filter?

Thank You all! I just ordered Ektachrome 100D and zinc air batteries to test further - I think the brightness problem is because of the battery was wrong voltage :)

I'm about to do first tests with Canon 310xl and E100D and not using ANY filters (I don't have any at the moment)..

Just make sure, as a noobie, have I got it right? This is what I gathered from your answers and manuals - thanks for the links!

- E100D will be correctly exposed - Canon 310xl CAN and WILL expose it as 100 daylight ASA.

- There is no need for any filters and/or exposure meter tweaks to expose it right.

- There is no need to pull the red tab up (unless shooting objects against the sun/light source)

- 100D is a daylight film, unless using a filter, indoor shots will tint to red/orange (yellowish) - if so, not a problem for me

- E100D will perform exposure-wise ok indoors and in normal room lighting.

- There are no cartridge tweak solutions to make 200D to behave like 100D? Those cassettes would be cheaper...

Next I will test 814 Auto Zoom - as I have to wait for the M9 battery adapters to arrive. I must apologize for my simple questions, but I need to be sure I make no "rookie mistakes" - as said, I really want to begin shooting Super 8!

Edited by Harry Alen

Oops... Forgot... Canon 310XL will in my undestanding meter 100D correctly but Canon 310XL AF and Canon 310XL-S AF will meter it as 160T (source: http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Super_8_EKTACHROME_100D_motion_picture_film_exposed_in_old_cameras).

I think there is no way I can mix these cameras - on my camera's side there is a text Canon 310XL and the other two look very different from 310XL.