Vadim Joy

What would you choose when buying your equipment and why, Lanparte vs Tilta?

As far as I know both companies manufactured equipment in China for a fraction of cost for well known film corporations in the US and worldwide. One day they decided to make their own equipment and that's how they were born. I've read some extremely good reviews of equipment quality made by both Tilta and Lanparte. Does that mean that China can actually make high quality stuff?

• Premium Member

China makes a good deal of stuff-- of all quality levels. It's just a question of what quality they're going for. For myself. personally, I get some stuff from china (15mm rods for example) or other pieces which don't need super high precision-- but for other pieces, and electronics, I prefer US or EU-- but it really comes down to the company. I Have never seen Lanparte or Tilta in the wild on kit, however.

• Premium Member

I keep almost buying one of these:

Tilta%20Baseplate%20BS-T03.jpg

Seemed like a solid investment as it'll remain relevant with almost any camera, and they're cheap enough that it's nearly an impulse buy. And I really like ENG layout, quick-release plate, etc.

But how good can it really be for, what, £200/$300?

P

I just ordered v mount battery plate from Lanparte. Paid $300. The best deal i could find for this proce range. I will be using it with Switronix v mount batteries, if it works ;)

Will post review on it when it arrives.

I have a Lanparte follow focus and it's very, very good. With that said, the first one I got had crazy play and was a defect. The replacement is excellent. I'm going to get slammed for this, but the director I work with the most has an Arri follow focus, and on the last few shoots we used the Lanparte FF because while they both have very, very little play; the Lanparte is really easy and quick to setup and change. It's a very simple but smart design. Maybe it just works with my rig a little better.

I have a Lanparte follow focus and it's very, very good. With that said, the first one I got had crazy play and was a defect. The replacement is excellent. I'm going to get slammed for this, but the director I work with the most has an Arri follow focus, and on the last few shoots we used the Lanparte FF because while they both have very, very little play; the Lanparte is really easy and quick to setup and change. It's a very simple but smart design. Maybe it just works with my rig a little better.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Gene. That's exactly what I heard about their follow focuses. Good quality and very little/no backlash.

Yesterday I received my Lanparte power base. I'm impressed. It has two 12V outs, one 7.4V out, one 5V in and one 5V out for the HDMI splitter, one HDMI in, two HDMI outs, one 15V out and D-Tap out. It came with 5 different cables, however none of which fits my BMCC camera as it requires 5.5mm in, so I went to best buy and picked up a laptop power adapter for $10. Problem solved.

What I really like about this piece is that you can charge battery on it. I tries to charge both my Switronix and Anton Bauer batteries and it works. Charging cycle is around 3.5-4 hours to completely charge the battery from 0-100%. Everything is metal and fils really strong. The only downside is that the knobs that control position of the power base itself seem not to hold the weight of the battery for longer times when used in 90°position.

Overall I'm very happy with this buy.

Oh yeah and delivery was surprisingly fast! It took 2 days to arrive from China to my door. Courier was DHL.

Let me know if you want to see some pictures.

Edited by Vadim Joy

Thanks for all the info, was thinking to get this myself to use with a few different cameras, just not sure if to get the Tilta instead as it looks more well build and I only need it for power. Any chance you could post a link to the ebay seller you got it from?

Thanks!

I have a Lanparte full rig, and while the handles have a bit of play even cranked down, and the quick release plate is really fiddly to put on in the day with bright light, let alone at night in the rain after 12 hours of shooting.. The FF rig is one of the best I've ever used.

For $450 or whatever the FF rig goes for, it's an incredible steal. Mine has zero play. Just be careful not to tighten the nut which holds the gear down, it's aluminum and i've stripped it, still works though.

It's smooooth

Yesterday I received my Lanparte power base. I'm impressed. It has two 12V outs, one 7.4V out, one 5V in and one 5V out for the HDMI splitter, one HDMI in, two HDMI outs, one 15V out and D-Tap out. It came with 5 different cables, however none of which fits my BMCC camera as it requires 5.5mm in, so I went to best buy and picked up a laptop power adapter for $10. Problem solved.

What I really like about this piece is that you can charge battery on it. I tries to charge both my Switronix and Anton Bauer batteries and it works. Charging cycle is around 3.5-4 hours to completely charge the battery from 0-100%. Everything is metal and fils really strong. The only downside is that the knobs that control position of the power base itself seem not to hold the weight of the battery for longer times when used in 90°position.

Overall I'm very happy with this buy.

Oh yeah and delivery was surprisingly fast! It took 2 days to arrive from China to my door. Courier was DHL.

Let me know if you want to see some pictures.

It been over one week now using this Lanparte product. Guess what, it broke down. I lost all the screws. Alan screws (if that's the name to call them) are all busted. Only super glue holds it together at the moment.