Newbie: Battery for ACL II

HeikkiPekka Vaara

Correct :)

I can't say that I would be that experienced with electronics. Most of the things I have done is the equivalent of connecting cords: A to A, B to B etc. It just has to be done with solder. The issue is of course that getting those wrong can be fatal to some components.

Anyway, as long as the work is restricted to battery cabling outside the camera, you only need to get positive and negative correct. And it can be stressful to think which pin is one and which is four, but once you get it right, soldering is almost like gluing stuff together.

Anyway, I know that most people wouldn't want to become carpenters just to sit on chairs. But in my opinion this is not in that league but rather in "gluing that broken piece back". Pretty much everything can be bought as a service from someone else, but for some little things knowing how to do it yourself may save a lot of money and time (spent waiting).

11 hours ago, Heikki Repo said:

The battery I nowadays use the most with my ACL is an AA battery holder for 10 rechargeable NIMH batteries (1.2V, Sony Eneloop) which is then soldered to 4-pin female XLR connector. The battery holder is inside a plastic box which hangs with loop tape on my mag (see my profile pic). This battery pack I recharge with Ansmann charger.

For higher amp output, should I need it for high speed, I have a 12V sealed lead battery and a very simple XLR-adapter for it.

That sounds like the best solution, although i'm going to try to house 8 x 1.5v lithium battery's, and solder a xlr female to the housing. 

Unless anyone who's a bit more technically competent can see a problem with that? 

2 minutes ago, Oliver James Newman said:

That sounds like the best solution, although i'm going to try to house 8 x 1.5v lithium battery's, and solder a xlr female to the housing. 

Unless anyone who's a bit more technically competent can see a problem with that? 

I'm not very experienced with Lithium batteries, but make sure to check out if there are some special requirements regarding the cell electronics. At least in some cases Li-Ion requires special circuitry in the battery itself.

40 minutes ago, Heikki Repo said:

I'm not very experienced with Lithium batteries, but make sure to check out if there are some special requirements regarding the cell electronics. At least in some cases Li-Ion requires special circuitry in the battery itself.

I believe the batteries i'm looking at have a constant voltage module of 1.5v built in.