odd sandbagging

JB Earl

I am sure the comments were just said in jest we're all friends here.

I can't tell from the small pic if the stand is Bogen's heavy duty "wind up" but if not from the picture you can see that the center stays are fully extended yet the angle of the legs outward is only at 45 degrees making the stands overall footprint to be rather small (narrow) going back to the idea if you need to sand bag this stand due to iffy circumstances maybe it is best to choose a stand for that specific application that does have a much wider footprint before thinking that the sand bags are going to do all the stability.

just my thoughts looking from a small laptop screen

It's a manfrotto 111u, tall steel cine stand. (not the wind up). it's about 12' high, and 5' when folded. It does have a slightly smaller footprint than a combo or high roller. I think 42"

I have other big stands, just got a good deal on this and never used one with the high braced legs.

oh that's for staircases and as soon as you set it up someone is going to want to use the staircase. Sure they'll say they're just going to sneak by without bumping it... right. My answer to your orginial question the proper way is to over, over, sandbag it. Like you say it's a narrow footprint that normally needs to be extended to a high height (on a slope) and someone is going want to squeeze past it.

If the stand is on a hillside and the adjustable leg still doesn't get the stand to sit with the weight perfectly underneith the stand the loophole can be used with a safety guideline to a stake (at least that's what we have used it for in the past)

Hang it on the lockoffs.

Loophole is so you can tie it off so your fleckie dont blow over.

Put it on some sushis to get a little bit of space so the bags can hang over leg struts if youre worried.

If you were mega worried, ratchet a bag around the leg.

Or get a facebook friend to hold it.

Or HIRE A GRIP and let them worry about it.

One big objection is to the ground-level spreader. PITA to open and close, and it bones you if you were trying to put multiple of these close together, you can't nest the legs like normal combis and beefy babies. And with a 13 lb capacity you can't even mount an ARRI 1200 or M18, so a junior receiver is kind of pointless. Heck, as per the Mole website, a 1K baby weighs 13.75lbs.

I really was kidding though, you use what you've got available. No offense intended.

Make do with what you've got. I am not a big fan of these but they are not that bad.

As Toby say's, they can't be nested very easily, but otherwise they are fine. I had a bunch of these handed to me - Avenger, I think, on a feature film in Rome. They can handle quite a lot of weight - more than I expected. The Avenger C-stands are great btw.