Logmar S8 footage revealed!

Lasse Roedtnes

Hi there!

This morning I received some awesome footage from Friedemann, who has been out filming with our original prototype camera. I think it's worth sharing even though the camera used, is not the final production model which we are still waiting for our subcontractors to deliver parts for.

The footage has been 2K scanned by the good folks over at GammaRayDigital in Boston.

Head over to our webpage at www.Logmar.dk and visit our sample video section to have a look, but please bring your comments back here for everyone to view and enjoy!

we would like to thank the following people for their support:

The users of Cinematography.com and Filmshooting.com for their endless amount of good ideas and valuable feedback

Friedemann Wachsmuth for writing the great article at Filmkorn.org, and volunteering as a beta tester.

Perry Paolantonio from GammaRayDigital for providing us with sponsored 2K scanning.

Jürgen Lossau for writing the inspirational Super8 books as well as an article about our camera.

As well as all the people out there who has shared our story on Facebook, twitter and other social medias!

Best regards

The Logmar Team

Edited by Lasse Roedtnes
  • Upvote 3

Amazing stability, sharpness, softness, and color!

As I commented on Vimeo:

Damnit! Now I have to buy one... grrrr :)

Logmar, Kodak Vision3 50D, Perry/GammaRayDigital and the LaserGraphics ScanStation are an amazing asset to the future of Super 8!

Look at that stability, dynamic rage, sharp but soft image, and amazing color!

Fantastic footage, Friedemann! I kept staring at the corners seeking weave. Unbelievably sharp for such a tiny medium. I believe the Leicina Special with same same Schneider zoom lens has been surpassed. Bravo to Lasse and his dad! Very impressive implementation and transport engineering.

Do you swear on the holy bible that no registration software was utilized? :)

Edited by Nicholas Kovats

Fantastic footage, Friedemann! I kept staring at the corners seeking weave. Unbelievably sharp for such a tiny medium. I believe the Leicina Special with same same Schneider zoom lens has been surpassed. Bravo to Lasse and his dad! Very impressive implementation and transport engineering.

Do you swear on the holy bible that no registration software was utilized? :)

Even if it was... just follow the dusty upper left corner of the gate relative to the stable image... it stays perfectly where it's supposed to! It would be an awful lot of work to fake that.

terrific , now S8 can be used as an alternate format for a subtle look , rather than be way too stylized .

1 question though : why so many scratches and dust ?

is is something that is related to post House ? or perhaps the registered mechanism is scratching the film ? quite honestly a just shot roll of negative film should not be in such bad shape ...

thanks

g

1 question though : why so many scratches and dust ?

The intermittent white bits are dust, on the surface of the film itself. Unfortunately, when I scanned this the film wasn't threaded over the PTR rollers, which would have taken care of most of that (one of our rollers is damaged and I didn't want to risk running the film over it until we get a replacement).

Wow, it really looks fantastic. Steady and smooth as all hell. I'd love to see a side by side with a Leicina Special. I've been thinking about getting one for a while, but now I don't know!

Ps. The image looks really sharp in the center and seems like it softens out towards the edges (especially noticeable in the shot with the person walking across the bridge). I don't know if that the lens or not. Anyone have a thought? Also, you can tell some software stabilization is used at around 39-48 seconds in (the frame edges jitter around a bit), but it's really minor, and that was the only time I noticed it. Really remarkable stabilization. Beautiful. Can't wait to see more!

• Upvote 1

Hi,

Amazing, very impressive. Was that the Max-8 gate? What kind of lens was used? As I thought, the close ups were tack sharp and the wides were a huge improvement over original Super 8. This camera is going to redefine SUper 8.

The camera has a widened gate (max-8) the rounded corners will not be there on the production model - they will be square (sharp)

The lens used is a Schneider Optivaron 1.8/6-66mm.

I would like to add: It says it's variable speed, can it shoot 16fps?

The camera supports any frame rate from 8fps to 54fps with 0.001 fps increments - so 16.000fps is possible :)

Best regards

Lasse

The intermittent white bits are dust, on the surface of the film itself. Unfortunately, when I scanned this the film wasn't threaded over the PTR rollers, which would have taken care of most of that (one of our rollers is damaged and I didn't want to risk running the film over it until we get a replacement).

Thanks perry , what machine did you use?

Lasse : since all this looks very promising i would ask/recommend/suggest to make available some properly scanned 2k samples (data scanned (not telecine) , perhaps using scanity?) in a prores format (in Log format ( and color corrected if you want).

since the image is stable and sharper than usual s8 i would like to see how it cuts with different media and how it looks on a 42" and up screen , i think this can seriously be considered a replacement for 16 for some circumstances ...

hope you can make it happen

thanks

g

This was scanned at 2k on the ScanStation.

-perry

terrific , thanks perry

do you think that when you PTR rollers are replace you can scan it again and perhaps upload a 2K prores LT version (the whole thing would be 3.6 GB , if that is an issue i guess you could upload 1/2 of it ) .

I would love to see it LOG 2K .

ps: still haven't developed those tools that i am going to be sending you soon for scanning ...

thanks!

g

ouch ... i guess we lost the opportunity ...

ps: do you still have the Log scan ? in case they get green light for sharing (when/if you have the time)... (and even though would be dusty ...)

by the way , do you think that the PTR issue , only affected the quantity of dust on that scan ?

thanks

g

by the way , do you think that the PTR issue , only affected the quantity of dust on that scan ?

The purpose of the PTRs is to remove incidental dust that might be on the surface of the film. That dust could have been picked up when it was at the lab for processing, or while the film was being prepped for scanning - really any time the film is exposed to air, it's susceptible. The PTRs do a good job of removing most of it. Because one was damaged (and you need to thread through both for them to be effective) we threaded the film around them, thus that dust wasn't removed. Normally we use them all the time, but this was a rare exception.

since the image is stable and sharper than usual s8 i would like to see how it cuts with different media and how it looks on a 42" and up screen , i think this can seriously be considered a replacement for 16 for some circumstances ...

hope you can make it happen

thanks

g

So maybe today we have seen super-8 become 16.

One wonders how the 16 and 35mm Logmars will perform, assuming the same basic design. :rolleyes:

So maybe today we have seen super-8 become 16.

One wonders how the 16 and 35mm Logmars will perform, assuming the same basic design. :rolleyes:

The camera must transport intermittently the film as much steady as possible "only". The lens do the real job. There are already plenty of professional 16 and 35 cameras out there

Edited by Roberto Pirodda