Logmar S8 footage revealed!

Lasse Roedtnes

Carl,

Would a 4mm film format suffice? :)

"http://www.super8data.com/database/articles_list/formato_m.htm

ANEXO I I - John A. Maurer
SMPTE Awards Presentations, Boxoffice (trade magazine devoted to motion picture exhibition), October 25 1971 - page 208
[...] John A. Maurer, president of Optronics Technology, Inc., was awarded the Eastman Kodak Gold Medal for 1971 by the Society. The Eastman Kodak Gold Medal Award was given to Maurer for his continuing work over 40 years in behalf of achieving the highest quality possible in the recording and reproduction of both the visual image and sound record for films 16mm and smaller format films.
His research and development of techniques and his effort to take advantage of the theoretical limits of both materials and equipment as they developed have hastened, particularly in the early days, the acceptance of motion pictures in education and training.
John A. Maurer was educated at Adelbert College and Western Reserve University and has an Honorary D.Sc. from Western Reserve. From 1929 to 1937 he was at RCA Research Laboratory where his work resulted in 17 U.S. patents. Further work on a system of double 4mm motion pictures with optical sound on 8mm film and on 35mm to 16mm optical reproduction and sound printers led, in 1934, to his jointing with Eric M. Berndt in founding the Berndt-Maurer Corp. to manufacture professional 16mm cameras and sound recording equipment. The 16mm recorders developed by this company and its successor, J. A. Maurer, Inc., established the standards of performance for the 16mm industry."

• Premium Member

The Pro8mm announcement pretty much sealed the fate of Super8 with me. I'm getting out of it and will soon sell my Canon 1014 XL-S. I simply cannot deal with Pro8mm and how they treat people without deep pockets as though they are pieces of poop.

Matt, Spectra Film and Video pretty much offers everything that Pro-8mm offers. Did Pro-8mm get an exclusive on the cameras, because that would be lame if they did. However, anyone can buy a camera and then rent it out, no? including Spectra Film and Video?

Matt, Spectra Film and Video pretty much offers everything that Pro-8mm offers. Did Pro-8mm get an exclusive on the cameras, because that would be lame if they did. However, anyone can buy a camera and then rent it out, no? including Spectra Film and Video?

They have exclusivity on the camera, yes. With the end of Kodak color reversal (that hurt) and now the one film camera I was going to splurge on becoming essentially a Pro8mm product my heart has just gone out of it.

Edited by Matt Stevens

Can't Blame Matt, for me Pro8mm is a mixed blessing. To make a long story short, their prices have always been high, and the effort they put into transfers for "the little guy" has also been under par in my experience.

But, for the most part, the customer service has always been good to me when they screw up my order. The credit I have to give them is they do a lot of work keeping the format alive, and they have hard to find film stocks time to time.

But I have to agree that being the sole supplier for the Logmar can be quite a bummer, we all knew the Logmar was going to be quite expensive... knowing Pro8mm, who knows how much more they're going to tack onto the price? (E.g. Rhondacam, for 400 dollars- I'll buy a Canon 310 on ebay and paint it pretty colors myself!)

The issues raised in relation to Pro8mm is one thing, but the price of a Logmar, through Pro8mm, has nothing to do with those issues.

The price of a Logmar camera, from Pro8mm, is no different from the price of one direct from Denmark.

C

But, for the most part, the customer service has always been good to me when they screw up my order. The credit I have to give them is they do a lot of work keeping the format alive, and they have hard to find film stocks time to time.

How frequent do they screw up? Once per 10 is already way too much at these pricelevels. Glad they aren't in car repairs :)

With Kodak acting so jittery on producing film, and the question of whether S8 will even be offered by them in 2015... The Logmar, pro8mm and Ferrania may be our only options for S8 film stocks a year from now. Pro8mm said they will be offering the 200ft spools for the Logmar mags as well.

I'd much rather have an A-Minima for that price.

I weighed that option as i've been a long time fan of the A-Minima, but the stocks on the special spools are minimal to non-existant, and not easy to load on your own. Last I heard, Kodak was only offering 250D and 500T in A-minima spools. You can buy decent 16mm packages all day for 3K, but absolutely none of them come with lenses. I also have the ability to scan my own 8mm films.

Kodak discontinued A-Minima winds in September, unfortunately. Perhaps the first modern motion picture camera to be rendered practically unusable (and as supply of the spools runs out, completely unusable). The bummer about the spools is that the flanges on the sides don't stay light-tight over time.

The latest update on the Logmar website has some cool diagrams. I love this sort of stuff. In one way it's completely meaningless of course. But it otherwise creates that sense of progress. December delivery remains on track.

http://www.logmar.dk/facts-and-figures/

right-side.jpg

Edited by Carl Looper

• Premium Member

I weighed that option as i've been a long time fan of the A-Minima, but the stocks on the special spools are minimal to non-existant, and not easy to load on your own. Last I heard, Kodak was only offering 250D and 500T in A-minima spools. You can buy decent 16mm packages all day for 3K, but absolutely none of them come with lenses. I also have the ability to scan my own 8mm films.

All you need is a darkroom and some winders my friend and all stocks are available. Trick would be to find one with a Nikon mount...only seen a few of them but lenses would be much more affordable...although I have a great PL S16 lens.

All you need is a darkroom and some winders my friend and all stocks are available. Trick would be to find one with a Nikon mount...only seen a few of them but lenses would be much more affordable...although I have a great PL S16 lens.

That is something I wanted to do, i even had a perfect light tight store room in the basement. But I was told the 200ft spools can't be re-spooled or re-used or something. If it's a matter of emulsions side, that's no problem. Not much different than 400ft cores onto 100ft daylight spools.

• Premium Member

That is something I wanted to do, i even had a perfect light tight store room in the basement. But I was told the 200ft spools can't be re-spooled or re-used or something. If it's a matter of emulsions side, that's no problem. Not much different than 400ft cores onto 100ft daylight spools.

Just flip the film and wind it the other way; emulsion out. Pro8mm is doing it now. A little tricky to get it tight but totally possible. I believe they come apart like a split reel and you can wind it like that then put back the other side.