All aspects of moviemaking?

Hiya fellas,

I'm kinda curious as to what other aspects of the movie process i should be knowlegdable on? What I mean is besides learning the art of cinematography, do most of you learn or recommend learning about say:

Screen Writing

Directing

Editing

compositing

sound effects

storyboarding

etc...

How many of you are like Robert Rodriguez, and do more than one aspect of the moviemaking process.

For me prepping myself for indie filmmaking i probably will have to do most of this stuff myself. Wondering if there's other things or who of you enjoy doing all aspects of the movie.

George

I was in the business for 10 years and left. About five years ago my son became an actor and I've been managing him. Naturally I find myself looking for venues for him including indie since he also wants to direct (dont' they all?).

Without a script you have nothing to shoot. Storyboarding is a visual script. Those are my top two items you should be good at above all else. Even if you never write a script it will help you recognize a good one.

Guest Ultra Definition

I think that you should check some of the recent threads on this site, where this was very clearly explained. But you need to decide what do you want to be, a director, a cinematographer, etc.

Rodriguez is a a director, who also does a lot of other stuff. He is not a DP that also does directing. Directing is the main overall function in production.

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the info man. Screen writing was something i never really thought about doing, but i see your point and will look into it.

Ultra, you're right about RR. He's a director first. That really helps me out, thanks. I was looking for those posts on the similar topic, but can't find them... I'll keep looking though.

Thanks again fellas,

George