K3 Scratched Film without Loop Formers

Gautam Valluri

Hello everyone,

After my previous test footage had scratches, I had taken out the loop formers from my K3.

Recently, I had shot a few segments of a film on the same K3 but there seems to be vertical scratch (I believe its called a scoreline?) running through the entire footage.

Here's a link to the video on vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/88347201

password: noidastories

Any ideas on how this happened? I've been advised that I can have it fixed in DI in a 2K scan and I'm considering that option.

But I'd also like to figure out what caused this and fix it in my camera.

I'd appreciate your responses.

GV

Well... with the loop formers gone I'd have to guess it's something on the gate, or the gate/pressure plate itself. The only other thing I can think of (especially with the breathing it seems to have) is maybe the lever/arm for the film status/film remaining.

• Premium Member

It was standard procedure back when we rented film cameras out regularly to do a scratch test before each job, also something I still do after every camera repair.

Just run some fresh film through the camera, doesn't have to be much, then cut off the unused feed side and put it back in the can. Before removing the film that's been run through the camera, mark where the gate is with a sharpie. Remove the film and carefully study it for scratches on both sides. Depending on where a scratch begins relative to your gate mark you can determine where in the film path the scratch is occurring. Could be a burr in the gate or the pressure plate or something else. Make sure your loop size isn't the problem either.

• 4 months later...