Masanobu Takayanagi (Silver Linings Playbook, Out Of The Furnace, Warrior, etc)

Manu Delpech

Hey everyone,

I'm a huge fan of Masa Takayanagi and find it frustrating to find barely anything on him on the Internet, one small interview and that's it, no video interview, nothing, which I find baffling considering how incredible his work is.

Anyway, I'm posting here, hoping that someone else enjoys his work, and we can talk a little bit about his style, his approach to lighting (which seems mostly natural lighting, with use of practicals when needed, and sometimes harsher lighting like Warrior or Out Of The Furnace).

What do you think?

• 1 month later...

I agree, I'm also a huge fan of Mr Takayanagi's work.

I saw The Grey and was blown away by his approach. His sensibility and minimalist approach really puts story first and his treatment of subjects is raw and very human.

His composition is what I really love, and the camera movement is so personalised.

I have also tried to find more on him but there isn't too much online. Maybe this is a good thing as I can spend more time watching his work on films.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just did a few days on his latest gig, Black Mass. I can't add much to what has been already stated. The lighting on set did seem very minimal and naturalistic. Not that it was dark, only what was needed. Although they are doing a healthy amount of takes, there are not a lot of set ups. minimal in a way. An interesting side note, it seems that they are using an HD tap and have a DIT set up much like a digital shoot. String outs and such are being patched together for review. Maybe there are some crew reading this who could chime in. It has been truly educational and a pleasure to watch top shelf cast and crew at the top of their game.

Oh boy Chris, thx for the info ! Very excited for Black Mass, should be a stunner with Scott Cooper helming it & dat cast.

I was watching some of the behind the scenes on Out Of The Furnace, and it was the usual crappy video feedback. I just wish Masanobu could get a real article or I don't know maybe an article on Black Mass in the American Cinematographer, he's only had a tiny interview on Kodak and that's it, I'd love to hear about his approach to it. He's just really underrated I believe, that Out Of The Furnace or The Grey got so little notice on their visuals, it's just wrong.

Without a doubt, my favorite DP.

An interesting side note, it seems that they are using an HD tap and have a DIT set up much like a digital shoot. String outs and such are being patched together for review. Maybe there are some crew reading this who could chime in. It has been truly educational and a pleasure to watch top shelf cast and crew at the top of their game.

I wonder if they are going to try and use the tap for digital dallies and are going to try and edit it and match it back to the film somehow?

Freya

Wow I'm a huge Johnny Depp fan!
I also like a bit of Cumberbatch now and again so this seems like it could be full of win for me!

Downsides are that it is a Crime movie and has an Irish angle both of which are off putting to me.

I was quite excited by the title but it turns out that it isn't what it seems. Oh well. :(

Apparently the movie is being partly shot in Dorchester where I lived for about 6 months long, long, long ago.

I'm wondering now if I might see anywhere familiar! I'm sure it must have all changed by now.

Freya

Wow I'm a huge Johnny Depp fan!

I also like a bit of Cumberbatch now and again so this seems like it could be full of win for me!

Downsides are that it is a Crime movie and has an Irish angle both of which are off putting to me.

I was quite excited by the title but it turns out that it isn't what it seems. Oh well. :(

Apparently the movie is being partly shot in Dorchester where I lived for about 6 months long, long, long ago.

I'm wondering now if I might see anywhere familiar! I'm sure it must have all changed by now.

Freya

I live in Dorchester now, near Malibu Beach where Whitey planted many acquaintances in the sand.. they have shot some around here (Tenean Beach I think), but are utilizing many great locations all over town. It does seem that they are doing a small bit of editing.